Sanah Kapur kicked off her first film as leading lady on Monday in the presence of parents Pankaj and Supriya
Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; July 11, 2018)

On Tuesday, Sanah Kapur, who made her acting debut in brother Shahid Kapoor’s Shaandar in 2015, kicked off her first film as the leading lady. Her parents, veteran actors Pankaj Kapur and Supriya Pathak, were present on the sets of the Abhishek Saxena-directed Saroj Ka Rishta, to watch the mahurat shot. “We were in the middle of a scene when they walked in. Like everyone else, I want to make my parents proud. I was nervous initially but once the camera is on, you are the character and I told myself it was Sanah’s parents in front of me, not Saroj’s,” the actress tells Mirror.

The film kicked off with a song and Sanah is all praise for choreographer Shabina Khan.“She doesn’t just choreograph a song, she integrates the characters in it. I’m enjoying playing Saroj because she is dabang and moohphat which is fun,” the actress smiles.

The film, which explores a father-daughter relationship, also addresses the culture of body-shaming in India. “I feel strongly about it. It’s important to be comfortable and true to yourself because every human being is unique. It’s wrong to fit everyone in one box. If we want to change it should only be for ourselves. This subject is really close to my heart,” she expounds.

The schedule kicked off in Mumbai and the team will soon head to North India. And even though it is her first lead role, Sanah insists she isn’t feeling any pressure.

“At the moment, I’m not thinking about my responsibility towards the film. That will happen during the promotions. Right now, I’m just trying to be Saroj, bring the character out to the audience and hope they love her as much as we do,” she points out.

Any advice from big brother Shahid? “He just told me to have fun and enjoy what I love doing,” she says. When asked about Shahid’s half-brother Ishaan Khatter, whose new film, Dhadak, is to hit the marquee soon, Sanah says shortly, “I don’t have any advice for anyone except for myself. One should focus on work and be honest with their craft. I do this job because I love it.”