Saif Ali Khan
Two days after he was spotted shopping on city streets, Saif Ali Khan on why he doesn't have an entourage like his peers
Sonil Dedhia (MID-DAY; March 22, 2018)

In an industry where stars are accustomed to moving around with a sizeable entourage, Saif Ali Khan says he has neither the patience nor the inclination to follow the self-imposed norms of stardom. The actor was recently spotted enjoying a round of shopping at a superstore with wife Kareena Kapoor Khan and son Taimur. Ask him how he roams the streets of Mumbai without a team in tow, and he quips, "I should also get these bodyguards around me, na? But I don't think I can do that."

Be it dressing up for that 'airport look' or having a team waiting on you hand and foot, Saif Ali Khan says he doesn't subscribe to these ideas. "There is no air of mystery around celebrities today. I don't feel the need to constantly present some kind of a front. I come from a confident space and like to be myself. This is how I have been brought up and that is how I hope my children will be."

It's not unusual to see Khan casually dressed in a pair of shorts during his downtime. "There are more important things [to do] than being dressed up all the time. I think celebrities are doing it for the pictures, but somewhere it also takes away from the reality," he reasons, before adding in his signature dry wit, "Sometimes I feel I should dress better as I'm clicked all the time."