Kareena Kapoor Khan with son Taimur
Set to face the cameras in August, Kareena says her future roles depend on how Veerey Di Wedding pans out
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; July 18, 2017)

Citing her inability to make a mark in mainstream Bollywood, Konkona Sen Sharma recently told midday that the industry is relatively unwelcoming to 30-something mothers, even pointing out that none of them headline commercial films. Yet, cinephiles have their hopes pinned on Kareena Kapoor Khan, who, since her debut in Bollywood, has shown little care for norms. Despite being mother to seven-month- old Taimur, the actor, it has commonly been upheld, will retrieve her place as one among the leading stars of the industry.

However, when mid-day catches up with Kapoor at a Bandra outlet, she confesses she doesn’t have a concrete plan in place. “I’ll decide how I wish to go about my future projects after Veerey Di Wedding [her upcoming comedy-drama] releases,” she says, adding that her decision to act will also depend on how her son takes to her absence. “Getting back to work after having Taimur is a new experience. Although he will be with me when we start shooting in August, even travelling with me outdoors, I don’t know how he will adjust to my long absence, if the film demands it. So, this film will be my testing ground in many ways,” says the actor, at the launch of nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar’s book, Pregnancy Notes.

Kapoor’s pregnancy announcement led to social media followers advising her on parenting. From criticising her for “abandoning” her son when she threw a Christmas party only days after her delivery, to pulling her up for not spending enough time with the toddler when she headed out on lunch dates with friends, trolls haven’t left a single opportunity to condemn her ways. But she remains unfazed. “Going out with friends doesn’t make me any less of a good mother. Motherhood doesn’t mean a woman must give up on herself. It’s easy to see a photograph of me and jump to conclusions, but people don’t know my equation with my child. We are capable of multitasking.”