Armaan Malik; (inset) Amaal Malik
Singer Armaan Malik describes professional relationship with his composer-brother Amaal Malik
Soumya Vajpayee Tiwari (MID-DAY; June 13, 2017)

Armaan Malik has been singing for films - mostly romantic tracks — since he was a teenager. With several hits to his credit, he is a sought-after playback voice today.

The 21-tear-old is excited about his next song in Arjun Kapoor-starrer Mubarakan. "It's a duet. This is the first time I have recorded with Sonu Nigam. He is my all-time favourite," says Malik. He confesses that initially, singing tracks meant for older listeners wasn't easy. "I had to put myself in a different atmosphere mentally to feel every song's situation, even though it was beyond my understanding."

Malik is glad about working at a time when singers are "competitive, but not jealous of each other". "I wish though that so many new singers didn't sound the same. It's tough to spot a voice and associate it with someone. Earlier, one could make out the difference between Sonu Nigam, Mika Singh and Atif Aslam's songs. But there are fewer unique voices today," he says, adding that he aspires to become an international singer-songwriter.

He finds working with composer-brother, Amaal Mallik, tough. "It's tougher than working with other composers. Amaal is a taskmaster. But, there's a comfort level. I enjoy working with him."