BOMBAY TIMES (April 22, 2017)

Actor Sathyaraj, who plays Kattappa in the Baahubali franchise, has finally opened up on the controversy over the release of Baahubali 2: The Conclusion in Karnataka. Pro-Kannada groups have called for a boycott of the film in the state claiming that the actor had hurt the sentiments of their people in a speech that he made nine years ago. Despite the film's team maintaining that he was only a supporting actor and was not the director or producer of the film, the groups refused to budge from their stand. The film's director, S S Rajamouli, also took to social media and requested that his movie be allowed to release smoothly.

Subsequently, in a video sent to the press on Friday, Sathyaraj said, “Nine years ago, Tamilians were attacked in Karnataka because of the Cauvery water dispute. There were protests demanding that the screening of Tamil films be stopped in that state. To condemn such calls, the Tamil film fraternity had organised a meeting, and many had spoken out in anger. I was one of those, and in response to that, my effigies were burnt in Karnataka... I understand that some of the words that I had uttered then have hurt the sentiments of the people of Karnataka... In the past nine years, 30 films of mine, including Baahubali: The Beginning, were released in the state. There were no problems then. I was even approached to act in Kannada films, but I couldn't take them up because I had other commitments. Since the protesters, who have watched my nine-year-old speech online, feel that my words hurt their sentiments, I express my heartfelt regrets to the people of Karnataka.“

Explaining to his supporters why he was expressing regret, he said, “I'm a very small part of a very big film called Baahubali. I do not want the efforts and money of thousands of people to go waste because of my words. Moreover, I have a responsibility to protect the interests of the distributors and exhibitors who have bought the rights of the film in Karnataka... I humbly request the people of Karnataka to accept my regret and allow the release of Baahubali in their state.“