Natasha Coutinho (MUMBAI MIRROR; March 20, 2017)

Mauritius is an island nation in the Indian Ocean about 2,000 km off the southeast coast of Africa. Beautiful beaches, diverse culture and delectable cuisine are its attractions. Actress Pallavi Sharda, who will be seen in Srijit Mukherji's period-drama, Begum Jaan, informs what should be on every tourist's checklist in Mauritius.


Feels like home
I have been to Mauritius twice, the latest trip being last November. I love its orange-tinted skies, lush wilderness and the warmth of the locals. I am a beach bum, born in Perth which sits on the Indian Ocean, so in a way it felt like going home. I love the clear waters of the ocean. I've been lucky to have stayed both on the eastern and the western coasts and up the Grand Bay. I love lying on a beach with a good book. In Mauritius the shallow water is so clear that the ocean feels like your own swimming pool.

Cruising on a boat, sunbathing on the deck, mesmerised by the view you feel you're in paradise. Don't forget the bikini or bathing suit, sunscreen and summer hat, a sarong and flip flops.

Underwater adventures
On my last trip I went ocean-walking. This involves strapping weights on your body and a glass globe to your head through which you can see the underwater life. It was scary at first but soon turned out to be a lot of fun.

The man who was running my catamaran when I went ocean walking was called Pascale. Safety is really important when you are trying out these underwater activities. He always made sure I was secure and confident as the weights were attached to me. He was a wonderful and warm person who treated me like a daughter. I will go back to meet him whenever I am in Mauritius next.

Yoga studios and customised spas
For those looking for peace there are numerous yoga studios around the island. You can also treat yourself to a massage in the beach front as you enjoy the view. For those who prefer privacy, there are spas along the coast that you can check into. Everything from the oils to the lighting is decided by you. They offer customised packages.

For those who want to see the entire island without taking a road or sea trip, there's a helicopter tour. The pilots cruise low over the island's reef, allowing you to look at the corals before taking off for the hilly areas. The island is gorgeous and this is definitely a must-do.


Dive bars, island beats
The local dive bars are a blast. I love dancing and let loose to reggae and island beats. That's one of the happiest things to do when in Mauritius.

I found an amazing swimwear store in Port Louis. I must have bought 10 bathing suits. Shopaholics, check out the area.

I binged on freshly-caught sea food in a French-inspired restaurant. Good wine complemented the meals.

French connection
Most people in Mauritius speak and understand French so language was not a barrier since I speak fluent French. Locals were shocked when they realised that I'm not from the island.

The most fascinating part of the island is the seamless integration of so many languages and cultures into one. It's incredible to catch glimpses of Indian heritage and see how they have globalised the cuisine of their ancestors and turned it into something new. The melange of French, Creole, Bhojpuri and Hindi is incredible! The people have a sense of belonging to the land which is hard to believe since until a few centuries ago, Mauritius was completely uninhabited except for the Dodo. The now-extinct flightless bird is endemic to the island.