After trying his hand at acting in Neerja, composer Shekhar Ravjiani is keen to turn film director
Soumya Vajpayee Tiwari (MID-DAY; January 17, 2017)

When Shekhar Ravjiani’s world was all about composing and singing for films until a couple of years ago, he would often get asked if he wanted to act. Post a successful acting debut in Sonam Kapoor-starrer Neerja last year, the musician-turned-actor has been juggling both roles with elan. He is elated about the audience’s response to his big-screen outing.

“I forayed into acting with Neerja, followed by a theatre role in the UK. Since then, I have been getting a lot of acting offers here as well as abroad. A few of them are interesting and I’m looking at them seriously,” says Shekhar.

Besides composing, singing and acting, is there another aspect of the film business that interests him? Shekhar surprises us with his answer. “I’d love to go behind the camera and direct a movie. I have a few ideas, and I hope to get cracking on them.”

Keep track
On the music front, Shekhar and his music partner Vishal Dadlani are currently working on a few Bollywood soundtracks. “We are working on Student Of The Year 2. There are two other films, but I’d wait for the production houses concerned to make an announcement first. All three movies are special and sonically different from each other.”

Vishal-Shekhar also made headlines for collaborating with British pop-rock band, The Vamps for the single, Beliya. “Vishal and I are waiting for our second single with them, called Nakhra. It’s due for release in March,” reveals Shekhar.

Reality check
Shekhar is currently judging singing reality show, Dil Hai Hindustani. This is his ninth reality show as judge. Asked what is it about reality TV that interests him, Shekhar says, “As a composer and singer, I believe I must share my knowledge and talent with the next generation. It’s a special feeling to discover and mentor talented individuals and help them succeed in their musical pursuits. Almost every reality show has led to the discovery of some extremely talented and promising voices. While that isn’t my main motive for judging, I am always open to giving them an opportunity, if the requirement presents itself. I’ve even offered a couple of singers a chance to record for me on the show itself.”