Showing posts with label Bedhadak. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Bedhadak. Show all posts

I felt bad seeing Shanaya struggle; ek film ruk gayi, doosri delay hui-Sanjay Kapoor

‘Felt bad seeing Shanaya struggle; ek film ruk gayi, doosri delay hui’

S Farah Rizvi (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 24, 2025)

Actor Sanjay Kapoor has been enjoying his second innings, having marked 30 years in the industry and turning 60 last week (October 17). Calling this “the best phase” of his career, he tells us: “Today, makers believe in me, saying ‘Sanjay yeh role kar lega’. That’s my achievement in this milestone year.”

This also coincides with the year his daughter, Shanaya Kapoor (25), made her debut, which Sanjay calls part of “the universe’s plan”. But he admits that her journey hasn’t been easy: “I never tag my early days as a struggle, but felt really overwhelmed when her first film got shelved after a big announcement.”

Shanaya was originally supposed to debut in Karan Johar’s Bedhadak, which was announced in 2022 but was later shelved.

He adds, “It was very tough for Shanaya. Jo film aani thi woh ruk gayi, phir doosri film mein bhi kuch delay hua. I felt bad seeing her struggle.”

Her second project, Aankhon Ki Gustaakhiyan, was delayed before releasing in July. But finally seeing her debut was an emotional moment for Sanjay: “When I saw her onscreen, she was beyond my expectations. I just cried. Her hard work shows on screen. I am proud of her.”

I value this chance more as I got it after delays-Shanaya Kapoor

Shanaya Kapoor: ‘I value this chance more as I got it after delays’

Debuting with Aankhon Ki Gustaakhiyan, Shanaya Kapoor admits her path as a star kid may be easier than others, but had its lows when her first film got shelved
Priyanka Sharma (MID-DAY; June 25, 2025)

"Finally,” exclaims Shanaya Kapoor when we get on a call with her, weeks before her debut film Aankhon Ki Gustaakhiyan’s release. She has been waiting to foray into Bollywood for the past three years, but life had other plans. Today, as her maiden Hindi film is ready, the newbie — daughter of Sanjay and Maheep Kapoor — admits she can’t get enough of it.

“Every day I log on to YouTube and watch myself on screen. I’m not going to lie; my dad and I get teary-eyed,” she grins.

The happy tears are understandable considering it has been a long road to this point. In 2022, Shanaya was to be launched with Karan Johar’s production Bedhadak, but it got shelved. Heartbreaking as the episode was, strangely it led her to director Santosh Singh’s romantic drama opposite Vikrant Massey. 

She recalls, “It was a matter of five to six days where we had begun shooting. But due to COVID and various other reasons, that film didn’t come into fruition. Post that, I was giving auditions. I auditioned for another project, and the casting director sent the tape across to Santosh Singh. When I look back at it now, I realise why things didn’t happen then and why they are happening now. I feel much better prepared as an actor.”

She says that instead of dwelling on projects that didn’t work out, she used the years in between to work on her craft. “I worked to get better so that the day I get that opportunity, I’m ready for it. It’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I never took it for granted.”

Many may argue that her debut, though delayed, was inevitable. After all, she comes from one of the most prominent film families. “I do come from a film family and understand what that means. I had access and opportunity. But that access doesn’t mean guaranteed acceptance. At the end of the day, the audience has to accept me. I have to earn my place through a lot of hard work,” she insists, adding, “I value this chance a lot more because I got it after delays. I’ve had my ups and downs before coming here today. Having said that, I’m aware that it’s much easier for me compared to others.”

Bedhadak setback was easier as I had already been through the disappointment with Dostana 2-Lakshya

Hansal Mehta's next to be an action film starring 'Kill' actor Lakshya?

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; February 18, 2025)

After a successful career in television that ran for over half a decade with shows like Porus and Adhuri Kahaani Hamari, Lakshya decided to take a break and explore the big screen. He faced roadblocks along the way - what was supposed to be his big debut, Dostana 2, was shelved after a few days of shooting and his next, Bedhadak, also didn’t take off. But Lakshya didn’t give up, he then went for the big kill. In a chat with us, he talks about his big screen debut Kill, the disappointments he faced at the start and how that’s changed him as a human.

‘There was a point where I thought main hi panauti hoon’
Reflecting on the early setbacks, Lakshya, shares how he handled the challenges. “I believe in Harivansh Rai Bachchan’s lines - ‘Hua toh achcha, na hua toh aur bhi achcha.’ I gave it my best, and I was hopeful and confident. Yes, I faced setbacks, and there was a lot of confusion about what would happen next. However, when Dostana 2 was cancelled, Karan Johar sir called me on the same day to support me. So, taking the setback with Bedhadak was easier because I had already been through the disappointment with Dostana 2. I had prepared myself for it (laughs). There was a point where I thought ki main hi panauti hoon because mere waje se filmay band ho jaati hai. Finally, when I heard the narration for Kill (released last year), I felt a deep sense of excitement. People always talk about patience and perseverance in Bollywood, and it’s true. If you maintain that and give it some time, you’ll eventually get to where you belong,” Lakshya explains.

‘When I was on TV, I became a bit arrogant’
After enjoying popularity as a television actor, when Lakshya struggled in films, the experience only mellowed him down as a human.

The actor who has a bunch of interesting projects coming up shared, “When I was doing TV, I had become a little arrogant. Awareness nahi tha na. Coming from Delhi, getting a show, making money and getting recognized, made me a little full of myself. But the break and setbacks afterward were signs from God, saying, ‘Do you think you’ve arrived? Relax and reflect!’ So, the two rejections I faced helped me shed that arrogance. Also, when you play a king in a show like Porus, you start picking up those traits. While doing TV, I got caught in a loop, and I lost touch with reality. Coming into movies made me realize that there’s much more to achieve, and you’re not everything.”

‘I feel happy when others succeed and move ahead’
He earned praise for his performance in action thriller Kill, and while the film had a slow start at the box office, it later gained traction due to word of mouth and featured international film festivals. The film also featured Raghav Juyal who, too, received a lot of attention for his performance.

Ask him if there was any moment of insecurity or fear of being overshadowed by his co-actor, and he says, “I feel happy when others succeed and move ahead. The more Raghav grows, the more I will too. Everyone has their own destiny. The kind of roles he gets, I won’t get and vice versa. We’re both different as actors. I’m not here to compete. What I really like about him is that he doesn’t take himself too seriously. He’s like water—he just flows. He’s one of my closest friends in the city. During Kill, we only had a few scenes together, but every time he appeared on screen, I’d think, ‘This is some next-level work.’ He had all the funny lines and cool dialogues. I was happy with my own action scenes. My personal favourite in the film is Fani (Rahgav’s character), even more than my own character.”

Dostana 2 actor Lakshya Lalwani is frontrunner for Aryan Khan’s maiden web series?

From one Aaryan to another?

Sources say Lakshya, who was to foray into movies alongside Kartik in Dostana 2, is frontrunner for Aryan Khan’s maiden web series
Mohar Basu (MID-DAY; May 25, 2023)

All eyes have been on Aryan Khan ever since news of his directorial debut started circulating earlier this year. The web series, the working title of which is reportedly Stardom, is among the most awaited B-Town projects. The first-time director has long been scouting for the lead, with over 800 people having auditioned for it. Now, we hear that Khan may have found his leading man in Lakshya Lalwani.

Sources say that the six-part series, which is set against the backdrop of the Hindi film industry, was originally scheduled to go on floors this month. However, it has been pushed by a few weeks.

A source reveals, “The casting process took long. Aryan is clear about the kind of actor he wants. Those who showed promise in the initial rounds, were made to undergo six to eight rounds of audition, including screen tests and in-person. Lakshya is the frontrunner. Three more actors will be locked by the weekend.”

Lalwani featured in some television shows, before catching everyone’s attention with his titular role in Porus. In 2019, he bagged Karan Johar’s Dostana 2 — also starring Kartik Aaryan and Janhvi Kapoor — that was to mark his Bollywood debut. However, the film was put on the backburner in 2021, after which Lalwani was roped in for Johar’s Bedhadak. The drama has yet to roll.

Actors like me wait for bigger actors to say no to risky films or characters-Gurfateh Pirzada

‘ACTORS LIKE
ME WAIT FOR
BIGGER ACTORS
TO SAY NO TO
RISKY FILMS’
All for taking on challenging parts, Gurfateh Pirzada likes to wait for the right offers to come his way
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; March 21, 2023)

Gurfateh Pirzada is content with the way his career has progressed. The actor came in the spotlight with the 2020 web film Guilty. He did a small role in Brahmāstra: Part One – Shiva (2022) and with his February OTT release, Class, he got a chance to showcase his versatility. “I am happy that the audience likes what I am doing. I had not chosen Guilty, it chose me. In fact, I was not in the position to make choices at that time. I always had a vision of the kind of projects I wanted to be a part of and the people I wanted to work with,” says the 26-year-old.

All for taking on challenging parts, Pirzada adds, “Actors like me wait for bigger actors to say no to risky films or characters, because not everyone likes to experiment. I am sure Guilty and Class would have been offered to bigger actors. I am hoping more such projects keep coming my way.”

The actor admits that the projects he has done so far have made him confident. “It’s not been an easy journey. I have been doing this (trying to find good work) for nine years,” says Pirzada, adding that patience has kept him going. That’s also evident from how he’s responded to his first film as the lead, Bedhadak, getting delayed. It was supposed to go on floors, but Coronavirus disrupted the plan. The actor says, “It has been pushed and I am shooting for something else right now.”

Talking about the way things have changed, he adds, “There has been a lot of change in the way things are dealt with in the film industry after the pandemic. Consumer needs have changed, so films are going to take some time. But I am in no rush. I am here to stay for 50 years and not work for five years and disappear.”

Suhana Khan and Shanaya Kapoor’s debut won’t change our equation as pals-Ananya Panday

Suhana Khan

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; January 22, 2023)

Ananya Panday is excited that her closest friends, Suhana Khan and Shanaya Kapoor, are gearing up to make their Bollywood debut this year. The three girls have been friends since childhood and would share their acting aspirations. Shah Rukh and Gauri Khan’s daughter Suhana will start her journey in films with Zoya Akhtar’s The Archies, while Sanjay and Maheep Kapoor’s daughter, Shanaya, will be seen in Karan Johar’s production Bedhadak.

Being the first one among the three to step into the industry as an actress, ask Ananya whether she doles out any tips to her friends from time to time, and she laughs and says, “Whenever we meet, we just have normal discussions, just like when three friends meet and talk. It’s not like I sit down and impart wisdom. I don’t feel I am in a position to do that anyway.”

Ananya adds, “To me, they are my best friends who I have grown up with; our equation won’t change. I don’t think they would give me that kind of importance to come and ask me for advice (laughs). We learn from each other and also trouble each other equally. I don’t think anything has changed as far as our dynamics are concerned.”

Ananya, who made her debut with Karan Johar’s production Student Of The Year 2 (2019), is currently working in Kho Gaye Hum Kahan, backed by Zoya Akhtar. The actress is glad that her friends are working with talented makers.

She says, “They are working with rock-solid people who can guide them. Shanaya is working with Karan Johar and Suhana is working with Zoya Akhtar... that’s so exciting! I am really looking forward to their debuts!”

With Varun Dhawan, the film had a different background. With Vicky Kaushal, I have changed over 40% of it-Shashank Khaitan

Shashank Khaitan on how he tweaked Varun Dhawan’s Lele to Vicky Kaushal's Govinda

Director Khaitan says he changed the background and ‘over 40 per cent’ of Mr Lele’s premise to make the crime comedy, Govinda Naam Mera
Hiren Kotwani (MID-DAY; December 8, 2022)

One look at the trailer of Govinda Naam Mera tells you that it’s a masala comedy designed to appeal to the masses. Yet, the Vicky Kaushal, Bhumi Pednekar and Kiara Advani-starrer — initially planned as a theatrical offering — is set to première on Disney+ Hotstar next weekend. What led to the change of plans, especially at a time when films like Drishyam 2 and Bhediya have ended Bollywood’s dry spell? 

Director Shashank Khaitan explains, “The film was written in the first lockdown, shot in the second and was ready [in early 2022]. But at the time, films that were clear favourites [tanked] at the box office. What you’re seeing today is the [result] of decisions taken much earlier.”

Taking Govinda Naam Mera on floors has been a journey in itself. In 2019, the director had announced Mr Lele with Varun Dhawan. While the comedy did not materialize, Khaitan is said to have reimagined it with a different leading man and title. “With Varun, the film had a different background. With Vicky, I have changed over 40 per cent of it. I’m a writer who incorporates the actor’s traits into the character and the script. Every actor comes with his own energy, and I am glad I got to make it with Vicky.”

Kaushal is known to gravitate towards intense subjects — be it Raazi (2018), or Sardar Udham (2021). The upcoming crime comedy will see him in a new light, says the director. “I think this is his toughest performance because here, he can’t rely on anything — say, make-up or background music [to elevate his act]. I’m not taking away from his hard work in serious films, but in a comedy, if an actor doesn’t deliver the punch correctly, the joke fails. Govinda Naam Mera may not have been an emotionally draining process, but demanded as much effort as any intense film.”

Khaitan had announced a few other movies as well — Rannbhoomi, Screw Dheela, and Bedhadak that was to launch Shanaya Kapoor. But the projects have yet to get off the ground. “We have overcome such a tough period in humanity. In another six months, we should be in a better place. We were planning to start Bedhadak early 2023; we’re figuring it out. It has newcomers, but is still an expensive film. All the films that I’ve announced will be made in due time.”

After the Dulhaniya franchise, Varun Dhawan (right) was to reunite with Khaitan on Mr Lele

Shanaya Kapoor’s debut film Bedhadak shelved or indefinitely postponed?

Shanaya Kapoor’s debut film shelved, say reports

HINDUSTAN TIMES (July 15, 2022)

Shanaya Kapoor, daughter of actor Sanjay Kapoor, was expected to make her debut with filmmaker Karan Johar, in a Shashank Khaitan directorial, Bedhadak. However, a report by Zoom says the movie, also starring newcomers Lakshya and Gurfateh Pirzada, has been “shelved or indefinitely postponed”.

While the report didn’t say much about the reason, a source informs us that the production house and the director want to focus on their next: “Shashank wants to start working on his next with actors Tiger Shroff and Rashmika Mandanna.”

We tried to reach representatives of the production house and Khaitan, but got no response till the time of going to press. When the movie was announced, Kapoor had shared: “I can’t wait to kickstart this journey, I need your blessings and love!”