When I am travelling in parts of Europe, you get a break from not being recognized-Saif Ali Khan
11:02 AM
Posted by Fenil Seta
Madhureeta Mukherjee (BOMBAY TIMES; September 13, 2026)
Saif Ali Khan has a refreshingly grounded take on fame, work and the life that comes with it. From staying present and valuing his work to being open to criticism, he speaks with the perspective of someone who has learnt to focus on what truly matters. He reflects on the privileges of stardom, staying grounded and the value of hearing different perspectives. With Haiwaan now in theatres, the full JBL Live Headphones presents Bombay Times Lounge episode featuring Saif is live. Here are some candid takeaways from our conversation with the actor.
You are playing a visually impaired man in Haiwaan. When an actor plays a character with a disability, there is often the danger of performing the disability rather than playing the person. How did you ensure the character was understated, normal?
Well, it’s a little tricky in that sense. He’s got these special abilities where he can do certain things, and he doesn’t come across as a handicapped person at all because of that. So, it had to be quite subtle, and it wasn’t very easy to find that balance. Also, I grew up watching a lot of Japanese samurai movies, and a lot of these films have blind swordsmen for some reason, who can hear so well that they can fight. So, I had already bought into that. When that happens, it makes it much easier for you to put it across what you need to with conviction.
You are parenting children who are across generations – Millennial, Gen Z, Gen Alpha. They are growing up in a very different world from the one you did. What is it that you learn from them? What do you hope they hold on to from your generation?
They all have traits that I learn from. Sometimes we get a little corrupted in our thoughts, so the simplicity and innocence of children is hugely refreshing. It really makes you think…why am I looking at things like this? They open your eyes. Then the older kids, Ibrahim and Sara, there are things to learn from them, too. Of course, there’s wisdom and experience on our side, and we want to also tell them that, you know, I’ve been there. Also, I think it’s important to spend a little bit of time alone with each child, because they’re all different when they’re alone and you also get to know them in a slightly different way when you do that. Children function differently in groups and alone. So that’s something I try to do.
Saif on what makes a career worthwhile
A famous actor, who is a huge star, once told me, “If you look back and you have a handful of good films that you feel happy about, it’s good.” Because not everything you do will be right and register the way you want it to.
Saif on balancing life and living in the moment
I want to balance my life well. I want to enjoy life. It is a real honour for me to be here in front of you all and to have this conversation with you. Everything’s a privilege now. I just want to do good work and create moments on screen that are remembered. I want to be a little more present, as they say.
Saif on staying grounded in the spotlight
There are many places I go to where people don’t care about you being a movie star. Like when I am travelling in many parts of Europe, you get a break from not being recognized. I wish I could get paid a lot to do what I love to do and enjoy certain things the way I would want to. But I understand it is a part of what we do, so we can’t complain about it. And maybe because I’ve seen my parents handle it, be respectful towards it and, at the same time, not take it seriously at home, it has helped. You shouldn’t think you are someone super special all the time, as that can be damaging.
This entry was posted on October 4, 2009 at 12:14 pm, and is filed under
Haiwaan,
Ibrahim Ali Khan,
Interviews,
Jehangir Ali Khan,
Saif Ali Khan,
Saif Ali Khan interview,
Sara Ali Khan,
Taimur Ali Khan Pataudi
. Follow any responses to this post through RSS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment