Her mother is considered the voice of devotional music in India. Now, she is introducing bhajans to the next generation with her kirtan clubs. Kavita Paudwal, daughter of Anuradha Paudwal, is a playback singer, performer and mother to two. In a candid conversation with Sidhi Kapoor, she opens up about guilt-free parenting and the unconditional love only children can give
Sidhi Kapoor (THE TIMES OF INDIA; September 13, 2026)

You’re a singer, performer, and a mom. What has motherhood taught you that music never could?
As a public figure, you are judged constantly for your successes and failures, appearances and choices. But you get unconditional love from your children. My children love me because I am their mom. Professional ups and downs never matter to them. Parenting has also taught me immense patience. And since my son (18) and daughter (21) have a better sense of humour than me, I learn from them.

How do you balance the demands of a public-facing career with being present at home? Is there a routine you follow or non-negotiable parts of the job?
When they were younger, I would make it a point to come back right after an event. If I were out of town, it would be the first flight in and out. I had the comfort of a joint family, especially the grandparents who were always with the children. They have been my big support.

What kind of parent do you think you are — a disciplinarian, a friend, or somewhere in between?
Unfortunately, I am very old school when it comes to parenting. I believe they have many friends, but only one mother, so the ground rules are clear. I feel my husband is far more lenient (laughs).

One parenting belief you had before becoming a mom that completely changed after you had your child?
I realize that parenting is not as cute and poetic as it’s made out to be. Though I loved children, it was very tough when I had my own. I would joke with my husband that I am a better mom for others’ kids!

What’s the biggest lesson you’re trying to pass on to your children right now?
The biggest lesson is to stay true to yourself and not get carried away with every passing trend. Also, children should know that basic discipline is important, such as good sleep and clean food habits. Children seem to have lost the circadian rhythm. Most kids, nowadays, want to be up all night like owls.

Your mom was a single parent. What are your earliest memories of that time? What did “normal” look like in your home?
I guess my brother Aditya and I matured earlier than other kids. We dealt with losing our father and mom becoming the breadwinner with great understanding. Also, a lot of credit goes to the joint family culture we have in India. I truly believe that children are stronger when surrounded by family, especially elders. I know it’s more difficult now with many young parents living away from their ancestral homes and cities.

Anuradha ji was at the peak of her career while raising you. How did she manage to be both a superstar and a hands-on mother?
She was always there for us. I get my instinct for motherhood from her. Her singing was always a job. It was not her life. There was so much more to her as a human and mom, which we loved. The cakes she baked for birthdays, the food and the (soft) toys she made, the home decor…she did it all. She spearheaded all festivities at home.

Was there ever a moment growing up where you felt the absence of a second parent?
My brother would have felt the absence of a father figure more than me. Boys need their fathers. I was old enough to be the proxy mom.

What’s one value or habit from Anuradha ji that you’ve consciously adopted with your own children?
It was her optimism and immense courage in every situation. If we had seen her buckle, we would have considered it a response to adversity. Now we know that we can and must face it head-on and with a smile.

What’s one thing you’ve chosen to do differently as a parent compared to how you were raised?
I am more lenient with the schedule, though I don’t agree with it. I feel nature has a schedule and seasons have a schedule that keeps everything running smoothly. Waking up at noon and sleeping at 2-3 am can’t be good for anyone. But you pick your battles and I save my wins for more important things.

Single parenthood still carries stigma in many homes. What did watching your mother navigate it teach you about resilience and independence?
I am sure no one does it out of choice. Why would you deprive a child of either parent? So, it’s ridiculous to judge such a situation. It takes a village to raise a happy child. Why only parents? The entire ecosystem — grandparents, teachers, extended family and what have you. I wish every child had that. But I also believe that every soul picks their journey, which explains why life is not the same for everyone. It is commendable when a single parent, mother or father, raises a happy and healthy human because they also handle society at large. I admire them.

What’s been your toughest parenting moment so far? And what got you through it?
My toughest moment was when I realized that they are nothing like me. It was unfamiliar territory with my own kids. They react completely differently to how I would. It’s comical at times. I am still learning to navigate it.

Guilt is something every working mom talks about. Do you deal with it? How do you handle days when work wins over family time?
As strange as this may sound, I never felt guilty about not being there because when I don’t work, I am so focused on the kids. I would be home after every work engagement. Of course, I am grateful to both the grandmothers and my husband for their support. But in all honesty, it was never a tug of war.

Recently, my son was going to college, and I had to travel that weekend. But I had spent a month making sure everything was in place. My son knew and saw that, so there was no reason to feel guilty. As a child, I never judged my mom for being or not being there, as I was always independent. I never “needed” someone.

Did you sing bhajans/lullabies to your children?
My kids like to listen to aartis and ghazals by Jagjit Singh. I loved listening to the radio while I slept as a child. I think it’s very soothing.

Screen time, social media, peer pressure — what are your views on raising kids in 2026? What boundaries have you set at home?
I am unable to set any boundaries. Once they grow, all you can do is raise them right and pray you have done your job well. They can’t be taught. They watch you. We have always told them ‘No matter what, how, when, we are your safety net.’ We have their backs and they can always come home. Now that my kids are away from home, our family and friends who live closer to their universities are our support system. I can proudly say that my kids will never impose or overstay their welcome. The kids have always been very loving and responsible with others, but then at home they have a personality makeover (laughs).

If you could write a letter to your younger self and to your child, what would you want both of them to know about love, strength, and family?
I would tell myself and them not to overthink because we all have our paths laid for us. Value people but never depend on anyone other than your parents. Don’t be afraid, enjoy the process, and work very hard. Learn to look for happy stopovers in the journey, and then even difficult times go by fast. Don’t be afraid to say no. Never let people take you for granted.