Mushtaq Khan. Pic via X

Bella Jaisinghani (THE TIMES OF INDIA; September 25, 2025)

Mumbai: Senior film, TV and stage actor Mushtaq Khan passed away of cancer at age 76 in Mumbai Thursday.

The tall strapping comedian brought a spark to the big and small screen, shuffling sideways as he walked, pulling up his trousers and rolling his eyes as he muttered funny one-liners.

Khan had been admitted to Nanavati Hospital since a fortnight.

Birendra Nath Tiwari, president of FWICE (Federation of Western India Cine Employees) told TOI, "He was an artiste of great calibre and a pleasant, affable person. Just six months ago our union helped him recover old dues which a producer owed him. He was undergoing medical treatment at the time."

Khan started his film career with Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hai in the mid-70s, then drew attention in Mahesh Bhatt films like Aashiqui, Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahin and Sadak. Khan's comic timing in Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke, Jodi No 1, and Welcome, where he played a disabled hockey player, brought the house down.

The serials Wagle Ki Duniya, Chamatkar, Tedhe Medhe Sapne were other highlights. Khan remained circuit active on the OTT circuit as well. He is survived by his wife and two sons.

Mushtaq Khan was born in 1950 in Baihar village, Madhya Pradesh, and lived there until he completed his MA from Balaghat nearby.

He told this reporter in 2019, "I was fond of acting from childhood. I was in class six when I began to perform and sing in school plays. I did some mono acting as well. I cultivated a desire to become a film actor in college where I wrote, acted and directed my own plays."

Khan's father was a garment dealer who was not happy at his son aiming for cinema. However, his elder brother was supportive.

“And then something happened which compelled my father to back my passion. One day a serious fight broke out between a group of students from my college and some policemen. I think a couple of policemen even died of their wounds. The incident blew up and became a talking point. My father felt it was best to send me away from there lest I be drawn into the controversy. I took my chance and came away to Bombay,” he added.

Mushtaq Khan had a friend named Suresh Zargar who guided him to the Bharatiya Jan Natya Manch (later IPTA) to channelise his talent.

"I began to get good work. I did a play called ‘Dronacharya’ by Shankar Shesh which received wide acclaim," he had said.

In 2024, Khan claimed he was abducted on the Delhi-Meerut highway, with kidnappers demanding a ransom of Rs 1 crore. He managed to escape.
-------------------------------------------
HINDUSTAN TIMES (September 26, 2026)

You remember him as Ballu from Welcome (2007), or from films such as Hum Hain Rahi Pyar Ke (1993), Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001) and Bala (2019). Veteran actor Mushtaq Khan, a familiar face across Hindi cinema for decades, died in Mumbai on Thursday evening after battling lung cancer. He was 75.

Speaking to us, his business partner Shivam said Khan “had earlier recovered from the disease, but his cancer relapsed eight days ago and he was hospitalised in the terminal stage. He died around 7pm”. The actor was laid to rest at Yari Road Kabristan in Mumbai after Friday’s namaz. He is survived by his wife Salma, and two children, a daughter, Saba, and a son, filmmaker Mohsin Khan.

Tributes poured in from colleagues soon after news of his death. Jaat (2025) co-stars Sunny Deol and Randeep Hooda remembered the actor on social media, while filmmaker Anees Bazmee, who directed him in Welcome (2007), wrote on Instagram, “Shocked and speechless by the passing of Mushtaq Bhai (my balu). A truly remarkable artist and a beautiful soul. May Allah bless his soul and give strength to his family and loved ones.”

Actor Anupam Kher also remembered their years of working together, writing, “Working with Mushtaq Khan Sahab created many beautiful memories. Hearing the news of his passing brought all those days back vividly before my eyes.” Actors Sanjay Mishra and Rakul Preet Singh were among others who offered condolences.

With inputs from Rishabh Suri

I met Mushtaq bhai just two hours before his death-Rajpal Yadav
Actor-comedian Rajpal Yadav said he met Khan in hospital just hours before his death. Recalling their final meeting, Yadav wrote on Instagram, “This afternoon I went to meet Mushtaq Bhai, talked to him; he saw me, shook my hand and was listening to all our conversations and reacting to them. I still can’t believe that the person I met two hours ago, the person I shook hands with, is no longer among us.”

Yadav had initially shared a video from the hospital meeting but later deleted it and replaced it with a photograph of Khan while paying tribute.

Despite being in hospital dad went away smiling-Mohsin Khan
Even through illness, Mushtaq Khan kept working. His son, filmmaker Mohsin Khan, says his father was shooting until earlier this month. The actor filmed with Rajat Bedi, Chunky Panday and Rajpal Yadav for Tarzan, which marks the debut of Salman Khan’s bodyguard Shera’s son Abir Singh.

“My father was ill for over a year, and we were getting the treatment done. He was responding well to it, but in the last 10 days things got beyond control. He lived a very good life, and despite being in hospital, he went away smiling... He last shot on September 4 at Madh Island,” Mohsin says.

Khan also leaves behind several unreleased projects. “His Telugu film Dada directed by Gopichand Malineni (who also directed Jaat), will be released in December. He has acted in my Hindi-Marathi untitled film with Prathamesh Parab that we intend to release in a few months. He shot for The Vvaan too,” Mohsin says, adding, “My father gave 51 years to this industry in which he acted in over 300 films, OTT series, over 1,000 TV serial episodes.”

Deep Saxena