‘WE ARE
BESTIES,
WE WOULD
LOVE
TO TOUR
TOGETHER’

Shreya Ghoshal and Sunidhi Chauhan tell Soumya Vajpayee what makes their friendship so special
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; October 11, 2024)

They have always been pitted against each other and it makes them “have a good laugh”. Singers Shreya Ghoshal and Sunidhi Chauhan have sung multiple film songs in the past, including Imaan Ka Asar (Dor; 2006), Hum To Aise Hain Bhaiya (Laaga Chunari Mein Daag; 2007) and Om Shanti Om title track (Om Shanti Om; 2007), and now the “besties” have come together for an independent number for the first time.

The singers have recorded a single, titled Chhaila, for composer duo Salim-Sulaiman’s independent music initiative Bhoomi 2024, which will see them “in a different avatar”. In a tête-à-tête with HT City, Ghoshal and Chauhan talk about their bond, motherhood and all things music.

You both have been pitted against each other since the beginning. How does it impact you?
Shreya: People somehow derive pleasure from painting an image about women artistes and feeling that they are in competition or in some kind of battlefield (laughs). Sorry to disappoint everyone but Sunidhi and I are besties. I wonder how male artistes are never pitted against each other.
Sunidhi: Our choices may not be alike, but our souls are. That defines our friendship.

Tell us more about your bond...
Sunidhi: We catch up very often over a coffee and chat endlessly. In fact, even when we are in the studio together, we have so much fun that a three-hour session turns into a six-hour one. We also give each other constructive inputs, which helps hone the final product. For instance, Chhaila will see Shreya rap for the first time, and while she was recording, I suggested her to try out a couple of things, which she did. I love Shreya.
Shreya: We always look for excuses to spend time together. Besides music, another commonality between us is that both of us are mothers to boys. I remember when I was pregnant, I would reach out to Sunidhi for anything and everything. I remember calling and asking her: ‘Which diapers should I buy for my baby?’

You both have sung for so many films together, but the song Chhaila is your first indie song together. How liberating was it?
Sunidhi: Oh, we had a blast. We would have so much fun at the studio that Salim-Sulaiman had to wait endlessly for work to happen (laughs). It gave Shreya and me so much time together that when the song was done and the music video was shot, I started missing her from the next day. We had become so used to seeing each other daily. To feel that kind of love and to work on the song that showcases us in such a different avatar was gratifying.
Shreya: I never thought I’d rap in a song ever. But the way the rap jugalbandi unfolds between me and Sunidhi in the song is amazing. We had so much fun doing that. I’m sure it’s the kind of liberty only non-film music can offer. Both of us are also dancing and grooving in the music video. Prepping for it was so fun.

Considering you both love spending time with each other, would you ever tour together?
Sunidhi: Oh, I’d love to. I really hope someone conceptualizes that and reaches out to us.
Shreya: Yes, we really hope to tour together someday. I would jump at the opportunity.

There couldn’t be a better time to talk about motherhood than Navratri/Durga Puja, considering Maa Durga symbolizes multitasking. Both of you record songs, travel for shows and are hands-on mothers too. How hard is it to juggle these roles? Do you ever feel mum guilt?
Shreya: Of course, a lot of times. I often ask myself, ‘Am I doing enough?’ To say goodbye to Devyaan (her son) on days when he wants me around but I’m obligated to step out due to a professional commitment feels excruciating. But I try to balance out each role, from being true and dedicated as a musician to waking up in the morning and making breakfast for my little one before dropping him to school.
Sunidhi: I feel you, Shreya. Tegh is a little older now, but the moment he says, ‘Mumma, mat jaao’, my heart melts. I feel an inexplicable pain of being torn between both my loves — my work and my child. However, motherhood is so empowering, it teaches you a lot. I think Maa Durga helps us understand how we can multitask and fulfil all our responsibilities.

How has becoming a mum impacted you and your work?
Shreya: Motherhood has helped me better my efficiency. I am able to manage my time well and deliver way more than what I used to earlier. Sometimes, I wonder, ‘What was life like before having Devyaan?’ It is unimaginable.
Sunidhi: Having Tegh has made me more grounded. I feel I used to be all over the place earlier, but now I know, no matter what I do or where I go, I need to return home to my son. In fact, as we talk, I remember I need to buy a pair of scissors and glue for his school project (laughs). I love this phase of my life and wouldn’t miss it for the world. I know everything can come around due to the circle of life, but once Tegh grows up, I’ll never have this phase again.