Alaya F shares a happy family picture with Nana Kabir Bedi and mother Pooja Bedi

Shrestha Mukherjee (HYDERABAD TIMES; October 7, 2024)

Pooja Bedi, who began her career as an actress and has since transitioned into a motivational speaker, is known for her candid reflections on personal growth and the challenges of the film industry. During her recent visit to Hyderabad, where she addressed FICCI Flo in a talk titled From Limitations to Liberation, Bedi reflected on her career, discussing the broader conversations surrounding nepotism, and watching her daughter, Alaya F, carve her own path in cinema. Excerpts:

‘Alaya is a determined young woman’
Speaking with pride about her daughter, actress Alaya F, and her dedication to her craft, Pooja jokes, “I was a terrible actress. I often used my cleavage to distract from my poor acting.”

In contrast, she describes Alaya as a focused and determined young woman. “She wakes up at 6 in the morning, knows her schedule, and invests fully in her pursuits. Nothing distracts her — not her social life, love life, or even her parents.”

‘NEPOTISM EXISTS IN EVERY FIELD’
Pooja, who is the daughter of actor Kabir Bedi and late dancer Protima Bedi, addressed the ongoing debate around nepotism in the film industry, highlighting a broader perspective. “It’s strange how people shout ‘nepotism’ when it comes to the film industry, but when a businessman’s son follows in his father’s footsteps or a doctor’s child becomes a doctor, no one says a word. It baffles me,” she explains.

She emphasizes the influence of one’s upbringing on career choices. “When you’re born into an environment, you absorb it, whether you like it or not. For me, I grew up in the film world, and even though I didn’t want to be an actress, I eventually found my way into it.”

‘Never wanted to act; my first film happened by accident’
Despite her eventual fame in Bollywood, Pooja’s original aspirations were far removed from acting. “I never wanted to act. My first film happened by accident, and I only did Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar because I needed the money.”

However, her role in that film marked a turning point in her career. “That film catapulted me to fame, and the iconic red dress scene became my defining moment.” Though initially reluctant, she quickly gained the label of the “sex symbol of India.”

“At first, I was uncomfortable with that label, but I figured if I’m going to be called sexy, I might as well own it and be the best at it.”