Bhumi Pednekar to launch non-profit organisation The Bhumi Foundation

Sundas Jawed (BOMBAY TIMES; October 4, 2024)

Bhumi Pednekar, actress and climate warrior who was in the city for an event on Monday evening, believes it is important for women to be ambitious, to have a voice and an opinion. She is also someone who looks up to her mother for inspiration. She says: “I’ve seen my mom work so hard to make sure that my sister and I have a beautiful life. She is an evolved individual and everyday I wonder how I can make her proud.”

During the session, the actress talked about the power of cinema, and more.

‘First is always special’
At the event hosted by the ICC, Bhumi shared how her first film Dum Laga Ke Haisha helped her find purpose. “I’ve seen the power of cinema in the way it can change mindsets. It gave me the clarity that if you choose stories that represent real India, you will surely find an audience,” said the actress, adding, “Your first is always special but Bhakshak is also close to my heart because what the film stands for is really close to me as I work a lot with children.”

On choosing socially driven scripts
When asked about choosing scripts that are heartland-centric or socially driven, Bhumi smiled and shared how her heart belongs to that part of India. “Our country is diverse, culturally rich and there are so many stories of resilience and courage that need to be told,”

Further the actress shared how such roles and movies turned out to be smart business decisions for her. “I always wanted to create a space for myself that would be tough to take away from me and the unconventional worked so beautifully for me,” added Bhumi.

‘We need to have stricter laws for women safety’
Speaking about the need to have women representation at all levels and spheres, Pednekar said, “It is empowering to be on set and see equal presentation of my gender, but it’s not enough yet. I’m hopeful that we as an industry will achieve it. The only way we can ensure women’s safety is by having stricter laws.”

The actress also added how much it scares her that violence has become an inherent part of our being and there is no empathy left in the society.

‘On a daily basis, I have faced casual sexism’
Reflecting upon the recent tragedy in the city, the Bhakshak actress shared how gender bias & violence against women is not just a problem in India but a global one. “This is a result of years of conditioning and stems from a place where we are trying to create an equal playground that has still not been successful. I have faced casual sexism and didn’t even realize it till women I looked up to told me that it was not normal and I should stand up against it. The only way we can deal with it is by calling out that behaviour collectively,” shared the actress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
'My mother is my hero and my idol. She became a single parent very early on in life when we lost our father. She is my single source of motivation and strength'
--------------------------------------------------------------------
'Cinema is considered to be a dark industry but it is not. When used correctly, this platform can be a powerful one. It also creates so many jobs and opportunities for so many people'
--------------------------------------------------------------------
'For a long time, I was worried about getting films only with heartland stories but I like playing these characters as they’re different from me, it’s a challenge I like'