His nude photoshoot started my aversion: Mukesh on why Ranveer will not play Shaktimaan

HINDUSTAN TIMES (October 2, 2024)

Actor Mukesh Khanna has finally refuted reports suggesting that actor Ranveer Singh was being considered for the role of Shaktimaan in the upcoming film adaptation of the iconic TV show. The veteran actor had previously refused to confirm reports of Singh playing the role. In an interview with Bollywood Thikana, Khanna said that Singh’s nude photoshoot in a magazine was one of the factors that made him averse to casting him.

When asked why he found the actor unsuitable to play Shaktimaan, Khanna said, “I don’t take names as I am not supposed to criticize any actor. People get offended. But now, everyone knows that Ranveer came to convince me. I had called him a terrific actor and also praised his energy. People started posting pictures on social media as if Ranveer had been finalized to play Shaktimaan. Since I hadn’t taken a call on it as I have a contract with the production house, I posted a video where I said, ‘I have not said anything about the lead actor so please wait for some time’.”

He added, “That poor guy (Singh) was sitting in front of me for three hours. But it doesn’t reflect on his face, what it needs to play Shaktimaan. He looks fickle, as if he will con somebody. But he is a terrific actor. When I praised him, I mentioned that nobody in the film industry has an energy like him. But, I haven’t approved him for the role. He must have felt bad (on hearing that). However, it is the producer who casts the actor, not the other way round. That photoshoot (a nude shoot with Dirty magazine) was a very big reason that started my aversion towards him. When I saw that photoshoot, I said, ‘Kya kar raha hai yaar’.”