Vinay MR Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; October 5, 2024)

Akshay Oberoi has always been passionate about mixed martial arts (MMA), but due to his work schedule, he has had to put it on the back burner. However, the actor is once again training hard for an upcoming project. Akshay packed a punch for an exclusive shoot with Bombay Times and spoke to us about getting back into the groove.

Happy to reconnect with his earlier fitness regime, Akshay shares, “I got interested in MMA at the age of 11; It was on and off in New Jersey. I wanted to be an actor. When I moved to Mumbai and started working, I was never cast in an action film until recently, as action films are expensive. So I stopped and then I trained again. Later, I got busy with my acting assignments and couldn’t make the time for it. But when this film came my way, I was delighted as it gave me an opportunity to get back to my passion. It took me a while, as I lost touch with it. When you're out of practice, you're rusty, even acting when you're out of practice, you're rusty. That is why it's part of my daily routine now. I keep basic touch with it and my body used to kicking and stretching at that level, it's easier to not lose touch. I hope to continue training even in the future.”

Talking about his acting journey, he shares, "When I started out, the movies I was doing did not have any scope for martial arts. It’s only recently that I started doing some action films. Action also requires bigger budgets. So, finally, I’m in that space. Yes, I have a lot more desire to explore, but I'm so grateful for this period because I'm finally getting to do bigger films like with Toxic and Sunny Sanskari Ki Tulsi Kumari and such mainstream Hindi cinema, which is something that Fighter gave me access to. These are the same filmmakers who probably knew me before Fighter but wouldn't give me these opportunities, but that's how the business works. That is particularly why I am grateful for this phase."

In Hindi movies, actor Tiger Shroff is primarily known for doing MMA. However, Akshay is in no mood to compare himself with the Bade Miyan Chote Miyan actor.

"For me, my core business is acting – doing different and versatile roles. His core business is action. These are just bonuses that I have in my toolkit. I would be a fool to think I'm on Tiger’s level. That's not even my dhandha, ye unka dhandha hai. They need to sell that. There are some actors known as action stars and some chocolate heroes, but I want to be known as an actor. I enjoy action, but I don’t want anything to take the focus away from my performances. I need to keep experimenting with movies. Sometimes a performance will go wrong and sometimes it will go right. But that's my journey. This is just a small part that I can bring to the table. It's not my main focus," he concludes.