‘Been a victim of being young in many powerful rooms’

Akash Bhatnagar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 4, 2024)

The findings of the Hema Committee report about the sexual harassment and power nexus in the Malayalam film industry has started a conversation about the safety of women in the film industry. Producer Guneet Monga Kapoor lauds the efforts by women in the Malayalam film industry and is glad that there is a conversation of having a new workplace policy.

“It sends a very strong message across industries. It is something that is led by the women of Malayalam cinema against all odds, against getting blocked from work or getting discriminated against.”

Ask the 40-year-old if she ever had an unpleasant experience while working, and she says, “I have been a victim of being young in many powerful rooms. I was in my late 20s during Gangs Of Wasseypur (2012). I’ve battled that by showing up in a saree and colouring my hair white, just wanting to look older. Internationally, too, I’ve faced discrimination for my colour and the way I speak. How do you even articulate patriarchy or any sort of assumption of power, be it money, gender, race or language barriers? At the end of the day, for me, it’s been one step forward by just getting my work done, showing up to a bully, calling it out, sending an email and walking away from uncomfortable environments.”