Sonu Nigam, Sonu Nigam interview, Sonu Nigam songs, Sonu Nigam upcoming songs, Sonu Nigam latest news, entertainment news

Debarati Sen (BOMBAY TIMES; September 26, 2024)

Sonu Nigam has over 6,000 songs and 47 years of live performances to his credit. With a multi-genre repertoire that includes romantic melodies, dance numbers and soulful tracks, the singer’s range is enviable. His songs include numbers like Abhi Mujh Mein Kahin, Sandese Aate, Kal Ho Na Ho, Suraj Hua Maddham and You Are My Soniya, among others. In a conversation with us, Sonu opens up about the toughest phase of his life, his priorities at 51, the advent of AI and more.

Looking at your career that spans many decades, do you often wonder what’s next?
There was a time about five-six years back when I felt that I’ve probably done and experienced everything – be it success, failure, happiness, ecstasy, depression and spiritual elevation – but then something within me told me never to underestimate the universe. Never think ki ‘ho gaya’. So, I surrendered, now the universe will tell me what’s next. My life is good and smooth. The more I surrender to the universe, the better my life is. The love of my colleagues, my seniors, my contemporaries… it’s so organic, and it’s come from surrendering myself. There has been no manipulation or strategy here.

At this juncture in your life, what would you say are your priorities?
I never got a chance to learn music when I was a kid. I was inspired by my parents, and they told us whom to listen to, but vidhivat training in music is something I didn’t get then. So, what I did not get to learn or enjoy in my childhood, I’m trying to make up for it now. I have just two priorities now – my constant vocal practice and maintaining a reasonable fitness level. I can try to get a six-pack, but I also like to eat (laughs), so I want to strike a balance. I’m fit, and I have good stamina, and that’s what is important. When I’m performing on stage for three-four hours, I need to be physically fit.

There has been a lot of talk about the impact of AI on creative fields such as writing, singing and creating music. Do you look at AI as a threat?
AI is a threat to average writers, singers and musicians who are not passionate. Tell AI to write one song on mohabbat in Javed Akhtar’s style, and it will be done. It is being used to program songs, too. But all this is for mediocre people and AI is a threat for them.

You went through a phase when your songs were dubbed by others and music companies were not ready to work with you. How do you look back at it?
Kai cheezein thi… I wasn’t prepared for any of that. So, I’d be a liar to say that it was all fine. No, I did feel, ‘Yaar, kya ho raha tha, yeh bhi dub kar raha hai, woh bhi dub kar raha hai.’ Nobody wanted to work with me because they knew if I sang their songs, some music companies wouldn’t take them. They wanted to work with me and would say, ‘Sonu bhai, zara samjhauta kar lo.’ But I didn’t. So obviously, those were tough times, but I had faith and did not let the negativity seep in. Today, all the music companies love me, aur hum wapas pyaar se rehtein hain. It was a very difficult phase, but some lessons were meant to be learnt.

On the personal front, you have spoken about dealing with marital issues. How did you sort that out?
When you get married, you think you understand the person, but then, the equation changes. You face ups and downs in your marital life and one is not ready for it. You are never prepared for a difficult marriage. Most people have difficulties in their marriage at some point. I believe familiarity breeds contempt. When you live with a person, you forget who that person is. You start looking at them contemptuously. It starts hunky-dory, but later, the taken-for-granted feeling creeps in. Some people are okay with it, perhaps I’m not. I don’t deny the fact that times have been tough for me, but I have a beautiful son, and he deserves the love of both his parents. So, you come to a mutual understanding after a point. You mature over the years and also start looking at the other person differently and accept each other. My work is such that I travel a lot and that also gives us enough space. It’s good to have space… you don’t get on each other’s nerves (laughs).