AN ODE TO MENTORS
THIS GURU PURNIMA

Akash Bhatnagar (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 21, 2024)

National Award-winning choreographer Kruti Mahesh is renowned in the industry, but her dance career began with the reality TV show Dance India Dance in 2009. While the show helped her make a name for herself, it was also where she met her mentor, choreographer Remo DSouza. On Guru Purnima, she looks back on the way DSouza has influenced her life and career as a dancer and choreographer.

“From judge to mentor and a guru to family, he is someone I can call at anytime for anything and he will be there,” Mahesh tells us. The choreographer is all compliments about her mentor and says, “Remo sir is the calmest person I have seen on a set. He keeps everyone happy and lively while teaching us that the creative process should always be enjoyed.”

Mahesh also recalls assisting him on Pinga and Deewani Mastani (Bajirao Mastani, 2015), an experience that she holds dear. “He gives you creative space. At times, he would give me the mic and tell me to give the count. I have always been very shy, be it in front of cameras or on a mic. He believed in me a lot more than I did in myself,” she shares, adding, “He would know where I wanted the camera [while shooting the dance sequences for the film] and everything worked in tandem. When Deewani Mastani released, he credited me for my work in front of everyone, including Sanjay (Leela Bhansali, filmmaker) sir; that adds a lot to any choreographer’s success. He has the biggest heart of anyone I know.”

Mahesh also reveals that DSouza was among the first few to find out about her National Award win for Ghoomar (Padmaavat, 2018). “I was in rehearsal when I got the news. Remo sir was the second person I called to share the news with, after my mother. He was so excited for me, even more than I was. My achievements will never be complete without my guru,” the choreographer ends.