WHATEVER I AM TODAY IS ALL BECAUSE OF BARRY

Actor Manoj Bajpayee celebrates Guru Purnima by honouring his mentor, Barry John, saying, ‘The flaws are my own, but all the positive traits are learned from Barry’s teachings’
Yashika Mathur (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 21, 2024)

Actor Manoj Bajpayee, known for his acting skills for which he has received several national and international accolades, takes a moment on Guru Purnima today to acknowledge the significant role of his early mentor — Barry John.

Bajpayee, who also taught at the prestigious National School of Drama in New Delhi, began his journey with John, serving as both a student and an assistant at Theatre Action Group (TAG) in Delhi. The 55-year-old credits the theatre director, actor and acting coach, who is now 80, for laying the foundation of his successful career: “Whatever I am today and whatever I have accomplished, it is all because of Barry. The flaws are my own, but all the strengths and positive traits I possess are from Barry’s teachings and his way of living.”

The actor attributes his relentless drive to John’s guidance, saying, “No hour should be wasted; every moment should be used creatively and consciously. This has been my biggest lesson from him. He also taught me to keep my shoulders and head light, without baggage, ego or dwelling on past achievements.”

Concluding his tribute, Bajpayee adds, “It has been an incredible stroke of luck that God gifted me Barry when I was young and searching for direction. He provided that direction.”