Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; July 26, 2024)

After being away from television for over a year, Shweta Tiwari, last seen as the protagonist in Main Hoon Aparajita, is set to return to the small screen with Aapka Apna Zakir. The comedy show marks her comeback to the genre 13 years after winning Comedy Circus Ka Naya Daur.

As the only woman in an all-male cast, she shares, “Aise shows mein ladki hona aasaan nahi hai. They often tease you, and there is a lot of leg-pulling. I think it will be fun, though. I have realized that aaj kal ki comedy sirf logon par hassna hai. However, this show is different because Zakir makes jokes about himself and his life experiences. I personally resonate with clean comedy that doesn’t demean anyone. Also, people often think women can’t do comedy and are only there for their looks. I feel I have changed that perception by doing comedy. I don’t think I will be just a pretty face there.”

‘A workout is the best anti-ageing remedy’
In recent years, Shweta has garnered attention online for being one of the fittest actresses in showbiz. She says, “People have started to believe that staying fit is all about looking good. Many focus on achieving perfect abs, often resorting to supplements and steroids, which can be harmful. When I approached a trainer, he asked me what I had in mind.”

Shweta says, “However, my daughter (Palak Tiwari) told him I didn’t have a specific target or wanted to emulate someone else’s physique; I just wanted to be fit.”

She adds, “Women need to make time for themselves. Just working out for an hour a day can make a significant difference. A workout is the best anti-ageing remedy.”

‘I come across bizarre comments on social media every day’
Compliments are often accompanied by trolling, but Shweta remains unfazed by the negativity on social media. She says, “I come across bizarre comments every day, and it amazes me how far-fetched people can be. Logon ka ye sochna ki main gold-digger hoon, shaadi se paise lekar main apni life chala rahi hoon. I read such nasty comments and I know those who post them don’t actually believe them – they just like to add that extra bitterness. I don’t care about what people say, I do what I want.”

‘Many people think one can’t be naturally beautiful anymore’
Talking about how some people think that she has gone under the knife, Shweta says, “People assume I have had surgeries, but that’s not how you stay healthy and fit. Surgery jisne karvaayi hai uski shakal par dikhti hai. If you want to correct something and look a certain way, that’s fine, and I am not against it. But many think one can’t be naturally beautiful anymore, which I don’t agree with it.”

‘I have taught Palak not to let others’ opinions affect her’
Reflecting on her journey spanning two decades, the Kasautii Zindagi Kay actress shares, “One of the most important lessons I have learnt, and something I have taught my daughter, is not to let others’ opinions affect you. People will try to plant doubts, telling you that you can’t do something or that you’re not fit for the job. But you have to believe in yourself first, and eventually, others will come around; they won’t have a choice.”