Manas Mishra (BOMBAY TIMES; July 26, 2024)

Ronit Roy, known for his roles in the film Udaan and TV shows Swaran Ghar and Adaalat recently came to Lucknow to attend the ET Leadership Excellence Awards, 2024. He sat down with us for a chat where he revealed why he took a break from social media and what’s keeping him away from doing television.

Ronit recently posted a cryptic note on social media about needing to heal, which he later deleted.

Discussing this, he shared, “I put that post because everybody needs periodic healing, especially artists. Artists have heightened emotions, and sometimes it gets overwhelming. Social media can be toxic, and sometimes I need a break from it to focus on my family and personal life.”

Mostly seen wearing either white or black outfits, we quizzed Ronit about it. “I wear only white shirts and white t-shirts. It’s like the Steve Jobs angle. I don’t want to spend half my time thinking about what to wear. It’s about simplifying my life. I have a lot of clothes, but I don’t wear them anymore. Slowly, I have already emptied about 20% of my closet, including shoes and other things and accessories. I’m donating them. Even after emptying 20% of my closet, I still don’t have space to stand in it, it’s that packed. Now, whenever I am shooting and I see that they are buying new clothes for the shoot, I tell them that please take it from me and return them to me later. In the end, a green suit is a green suit, why buy a new one for a shoot.”

When asked about returning to television, Ronit said “Television doesn’t know how to slot me right now. But if something like Adalat comes up, it would be interesting. A lot of my fans ask me to bring back the series. Even if not the same series, long time back I told the network to bring a 2025 version of Adalat. If something like that comes up I would love to do but for me to take a long-running television is not possible now. I think the time has come for finite series on television. We are ready for seasons ranging between 50 to 90 episodes. This change could bring new pathways for actors.”

A picture of Ronit Roy with Sridevi, Mohnish Behl, Sudesh Berry, Harish, and Ravi Kishan, took rounds on social media. Having seen it himself, Ronit told us that the picture was from the movie Army. 

Reminiscing about that moment which he calls special, Ronit says, “We were shooting near Mysore at a beautiful but steep waterfall location. Like many waterfalls, a viewing area was accessible by a long flight of about a hundred steps. We had a long day of shooting and finally called it a wrap in the evening. As everyone started to pack up and head back, we began to climb up the steps. I was just ahead of Sridevi ji. Suddenly, in her soft, graceful voice she called out to me, ‘Ronit, can you hold my hand?’ I turned around and saw her standing there. Without hesitation, I held her and helped her up the steps. It was a treasured moment for me that I got to help her.”