vaani kapoor, vaani kapoor fashion, vaani kapoor style

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; July 23, 2024)

Vaani Kapoor, who clocked in 10 years in Bollywood last year, believes that a career in films is a game of patience. “Even the most talented people in the industry, at some point, must have felt impatient. But you have to wait, just hold on and not give up. Sometimes, it is all pre-destined,” says the Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui actress in a chat with us.

‘A lot of people within the industry give you work based on your social media numbers’
Vaani feels that social media has become a huge part of an actor’s journey in showbiz, but being out there is not something that comes naturally to her.

“I am terrible at it. To each its own. I don’t think anything is right or wrong here. But it doesn’t feel organic to me because that is not the person I am. I want to be known for my films rather than my airport looks. I understand that nowadays, you have to put yourself out there and be visible because, strangely, a lot of people within the industry who are giving you work look at your social media numbers. It’s absurd that it has become a barometer of how relevant you are in today’s times.”

‘I don’t want to be untrue to who I am’
Personally as well as professionally, Vaani believes she has come a long way. The Befikre actress says, “I have learnt to be patient. There are many days when I feel low and wonder why I couldn’t have been any different and push myself the way others do. But that’s not me. I don’t want to be untrue to who I am. Do I want to put on a façade and be somebody else just to get more work? That won’t even give me satisfaction, so it’s best to wait it out. After all, why would I want to sell myself short? I believe that the right opportunity might just come to you at a time when you are mentally prepared to give it your best. So, while some get it easily, it’s a bit harder for the others, and you have to accept that.”