When I tried a cigarette again after quitting, I found it disgusting: Purab

Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 31, 2024)

On World No Tobacco Day today, actor Purab Kohli shares his journey of battling and eventually overcoming his smoking addiction. Kohli reveals he started smoking at the young age of “15 or 16” and was initially drawn to it by the allure of appearing “cool” and “macho”. 

“It was in my late 20s, after about a decade of smoking, that I decided to quit,” Kohli recalls, adding that his method of quitting was unconventional but effective for him: “I just woke up one morning and decided to stop. I carried a cigarette but never lit it, just holding and puffing on it without lighting.” 

However, the physical challenges of quitting were tough, says the 45-year-old, explaining, “My tummy was being all funny and I used to get indigestion. But I am quite strong headed. I gave myself one year and that’s how I kept myself committed. I lit one up next year and I hated it. When you don’t smoke for a long while, you realize how disgusting it tastes. It felt horrible.” 

Kohli had to briefly pick up smoking again for a role in his early 30s, but he managed to quit for good shortly after. Reflecting on his journey, he says, “It’s been more than 13-14 years since I last smoked, and I’m grateful for the positive changes in my life.”