‘MY STYLE
IS EASY YET
DEFINITIVE’

In a shoot with HT City Showstoppers, Malaika Arora talks about embracing her individualistic style and feeling comfortable in her own skin
Monika Rawal Kukreja (HINDUSTAN TIMES; May 31, 2024)

From being the iconic Chaiyya Chaiyya girl to slaying it at the red carpets, and the reality shows she judges, actor Malaika Arora is a force to reckon with. When it comes to style, nobody does it better than her. “Style is something inherent, and an extension of the person that you are,” she says, adding that hers has always been a reflection of her personality.

“My style is easy yet there’s a sense of being very definitive. It’s a little sexy, not very bossy; it helps me embody someone who knows what she wants,” she shares, and continues, “My style is never wishy-washy or confused. I’m very clear about things.”

Arora, who has many dance numbers to her credit, calls herself “fortunate” that she has got a free hand to experiment while doing those sequences. “I always bring a little bit of my own touch, whether it’s in terms of hair, jewellery, or some other element,” she says, confessing that there have been times she has even committed blunders, “but that’s a part and parcel of experimenting and growing up.”

The 48-year-old adds, “There’s this term ‘age appropriate’, and everybody is subjected to it at some point. But, at the end of the day, you have to learn to be comfortable in your skin and be aware of what looks good on your body and what doesn’t. So, I am aware of the parts that I’m not comfortable with, and I wear clothes which will hide them.”

That being said, Arora has been through her fair share of trolling for her choices. Unperturbed by the noise, she quips, “If you see my entire trajectory, I’ve made a career out of being criticized and trolled for my choices, for the person I am, what I wear, for everything. So, I’m very immune to it.”

Talking about the nasty comments on her social media, she adds, “I will engage with them (trolls) when I feel they need to be addressed. I don’t need to justify anything to anyone.”