‘Tough to get into B’wood’s inner circles’ @iamelnaaz

Masumi Shah (BOMBAY TIMES; June 1, 2024)

Iranian-German actress-model Elnaaz Norouzi, who has done OTT shows like Sacred Games, Made in Heaven, and Ranneeti: Balakot & Beyond, talks about still struggling to get good roles, her desire to explore different genres and more.

‘Many people still don’t know that I speak Hindi really well’
As someone who wasn’t brought up in India, Elnaaz has faced some unique challenges. She shares, “I used to struggle with offers in the beginning. To be able to meet producers and convince them that I’m not just a pretty girl, but someone who can act, was a task. Many people still don’t know that I speak and write Hindi really well. I don’t mind auditioning, but it takes time, and it’s still the same. I’m still struggling.”

She adds, “I started big with Sacred Games, but I don’t expect similar success every time. There is only one Sacred Games. I am okay with projects not working well. Even the biggest stars have flops. As actors, you have to live with that.”

‘I didn’t have anybody to guide me when I came to India’
The actress adds, “When I came to India, I didn’t have anybody to guide me. I said no to a lot of projects before Sacred Games because I believed that something good was going to be offered to me. It was hard because those projects were offering me a lot of money and back then, I had none. I wish I had more guidance. I feel the reason why star kids do so well is because they are trained from childhood. They have seen all of this. I just came into this country where I didn’t know anybody. So, getting myself into the circles of Zoya Akhtar or Anurag Kashyap was tough as an outsider. I believe I have done well, and wouldn’t want to change anything, but I wish I had more ideas about Bollywood before coming here. It’s tough to get into Bollywood’s inner circles.”

‘I want to act and not just be glamorous’
Elnaaz shares, “I recently did action in Ranneeti, but I also want to do more comedy. I would love to play a psychopath, somebody with a disorder, or a mentally challenged character. I’ve always wanted to act and not just look glamorous. But I’ve been managing both well. I’ve played de-glam characters and also done dance numbers. I want to show that I can act and don’t just need to look good. I love to go on sets without any makeup.”