This was not the first time  I underwent a physical  transformation: Jaideep

Natasha Coutinho (BOMBAY TIMES; June 30, 2024)

From 109.7 kg to 83 kg in five months. Jaideep Ahlawat’s post sharing his weight loss journey went viral on social media recently. So, what’s the diet plan and the exercise regimen that led to this amazing transformation? Excerpts from a chat with the actor:

‘I gorged on parathas in the lockdown’
Jaideep got his wakeup call when he approached for a film soon after the lockdown. “I don't gain weight easily, but during lockdown, I gorged on parathas regularly and my weight climbed to around 110 kg,” says the actor, who hails from Haryana and grew up on a diet of ghee, milk, and yogurt.

The task was cut out for him, and for five months he didn’t eat anything that his diet plan didn’t allow. “My body is used to exercise, and this was not the first time I was undergoing a physical transformation. When I was approached for Paatal Lok, I weighed 85 kg and had to gain weight to play Hathiram Chaudhary. I changed my eating habits, and I was 102 kg when we started shooting,” he adds.

‘Each meal was 100 gm, but had adequate proteins’
Jaideep’s trainer, Prajwal Shetty, would send him customized meals during the training period. “My diet comprised chicken, quinoa, paneer, eggs, and leafy vegetables. This combination helped maintain my metabolic rate. Each meal was 100 grams, but it ensured I got adequate proteins. Avoiding refined sugar completely and limiting carbohydrates gave me a good start,” he says.

Jaideep Ahlawat explained, “Since I grew up in Haryana, I love parathas, roti, chhole and dal with dollops of ghee. I also crave spicy snacks. Though I don't gain weight easily, during the lockdown I kept gorging on parathas and kept putting on, till my weight stood at 110 kg.  Losing weight is always more challenging. It was tough to control my cravings at the beginning, but I am passionate about my work and resisted the temptation of cheat meals. My two-hour workout involved a combination of weight training and cardio.”

JAIDEEP'S WORKOUT PLAN
- 60 minutes of high intensity weight training with chest press, shoulder press, deadlifts and squats
- 45 mins of incline walk on the treadmill
- 5 days of workouts that focus on different parts of the body, 2 days of rest