‘I have a secret Insta account’

Mugdha Kapoor (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 30, 2024)

Would you expect actor Saif Ali Khan to have a secret Instagram account, much like his brother-in-law, actor Ranbir Kapoor? Turns out he does, and on Social Media Day today, he confesses to it. He says, “I do have the app and a secret account, too. I keep promising myself to delete it, but I still haven’t.”

For the 53-year-old, staying away from social media was “an instinctive reaction” to keep away from “the idea of presenting a certain image online or sharing stuff” because it is not something that comes naturally to him.

“I enjoy the fact that nobody is interested in asking me to promote something because they know I’m not on social media. So, I get a lot of peace and quiet,” says the husband of actor Kareena Kapoor Khan, who keeps updating her Insta page with life events. 

Although he admits to social media being “distracting and addictive”, the actor respects those who enjoy posting, engaging with followers. “It is a platform for people to perform on and to reach out to others, if they are interested,” he adds. However, he finds some aspects downright annoying

“Every time I check Insta, I see an actor at the airport showing concern about a pap, and then the comments read, ‘What a nice person’. Then there are stars who are not conscious of a fan trying to grab them and take a selfie, seeing which people write, ‘What a not very nice person’. Everyone’s very concerned with what everybody thinks because everyone wants to be super nice; that’s irritating,” he ends.