Internet takes a shine to Shaan’s son, who also has acting on his mind

Yashika Mathur (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 4, 2024)

He is just two songs old, but the internet has already taken notice of singer Shaan’s son Maahi and it’s not just for his singing. And the 19-year-old, who has the songs Sorry and Jaadugari to his credit, feels flattered.

“Any comparison to dad is huge since he is such an accomplished man. My priority at this moment is to do my riyaz, make more music and deliver on people’s expectations,” says Maahi, who wants to make his own mark, not only as a musician, but on the screen, too.

“It will probably be music videos for now but I’d also love an opportunity on the big screen. It’s on the cards. I have [done] a couple of acting workshops, getting my chops in place,” he says.

Insta Reels and memes featuring the father-son duo, with their near-identical voice texture as well as youthful charm, often send social media users on a nostalgia trip. But the singer doesn’t feel the pressure of Shaan’s legacy.

“A lot of people tell me that I have big shoes to fill, and my go-to response is, ‘I don’t — because the shoes are already filled with his feet.’ I am wearing my own shoes,” says Maahi, though he’s grateful for one thing: “My daadu (composer Manas Mukherjee) was in the industry but dad lost him pretty early on, so I don’t know how the good times and the bad times will affect me but I know I have my father.”