‘I KNEW I
NEEDED
MY SPACE’
Filmmaker Kiran Rao recently spoke about her divorce with actor Aamir Khan
HINDUSTAN TIMES (April 9, 2024)

Filmmaker Kiran Rao has opened up on what drove her and actor Aamir Khan apart enough for them to separate. “Aamir and I lived together for about a year before we got married and, honestly, we did it more because of parents. We knew that it’s a great institution if you can function as an individual as well as a couple within that institution,” said Rao in an interview with Brut India.

The Laapataa Ladies director, who announced her divorce with Khan in 2021, noted that the institution of marriage is “stifling” for women. In her marriage, however, it was the need for yet more “space” and “independence” that made her seek divorce.

But she added that it did not inhibit or affect her relationship with Khan in any way. “Aamir and I continue to have a very strong relationship. We deeply respect and love each other, so that hasn’t changed, and so, therefore, I was not worried. I knew that I needed my space. I wanted to live independently, and I needed that to grow. I felt that it was for my own growth and Aamir acknowledged that as well and supported that… So I didn’t fear a divorce,” wrapped up Rao, who got married to Khan in 2005. They continue to co-parent their son Azad, 12.