Vikrant Massey opens up about ‘secular’ family
HINDUSTAN TIMES (February 22, 2024)

Actor Vikrant Massey has opened up about his secular family, including elder brother Moeen, who converted to Islam at the age of 17. In a recent interview with Unfiltered by Samdish, he also shared that his father is Christian and mother, Sikh.

“Moeen, my brother, converted to Islam and my family let him change his religion. They said, ‘Beta, if you find satisfaction in this, go ahead.’ He converted at the age of 17, it is a big step. My mother is Sikhni, my father is church-going Christian, he goes to the church twice a week. From a young age, I have seen a lot of arguments related to religion and spirituality.”

When questioned by their relatives about how Massey’s father could allow the conversion, the 12th Fail (2023) and Haseen Dillruba (2021) actor’s father put his foot down. “He said it was none of their business. He said, ‘He is my son, and has all the right to choose what he wants.’ After seeing this, I went on my own quest, wondering what religion exactly is,” he added.

Meanwhile, Massey also issued an apology on X recently for a now-deleted tweet from 2018 that featured a cartoon where deities Ram and Sita were seen taking on the issue of rape. “In context to one of my Tweets way back in 2018, I’d like to say a few words: It was never my intention to hurt, malign or disrespect the Hindu community (sic),” he wrote.