FIR registered after  fake Insta account  impersonates Vidya
BOMBAY TIMES (February 22, 2024)

Vidya Balan has lodged a complaint against an unknown person with Mumbai Police for creating a fake Instagram account in her name and asking for money from people. According to Mumbai Police, an unknown person created a fake Instagram profile of Vidya, identical to her real profile, and asked people for money by assuring them of jobs. An FIR has been registered under Section 66 (C) of IT.

In January, Vidya had posted about how someone was pretending to be her. First, she shared a number and said that the person using it was “reaching out to people claiming to be me and is using my image as a WhatsApp DP as well.”

Later, she shared that a fake account had also been created. “My team and I have reported it. This individual has reached out to a lot of my friends, colleagues pretending to be me,” she had written.