‘MUMBAI HAS  THE LARGEST HEART, I CAN’T EVER STOP LOVING THIS CITY’

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; February 11, 2024)

Mumbai girl Nushrratt Bharuccha just can’t get enough of the city. The actress, who has lived most of her life in Juhu, says, “I am a true Mumbaikar!” Ahead of Valentine’s Day, the Chhorii actress who loves to spend time by the sea and hop on to Mumbai’s local rides (metro and auto-rickshaws) talks about her love for the city that “made her who she is today.”

‘I’ve always loved sitting by the sea and watching the waves crash into the rocks’
Sharing some of the best memories of growing up in a bustling city like Mumbai, Nushrratt says, “I studied at Jai Hind College, and I have always enjoyed sitting by the seaside promenade and watching the waves crash into the rocks.”

Nushrratt says, “I guess my love affair with Mumbai started there. I live in Juhu, and I remember watching my dad dipping into the waters of the beach when I was a kid. I also love going to Mount Mary Church (in Bandra) to light a candle and pray. One of my fun activities is to ride horses at the Mahalaxmi Racecourse, which I have done a few times.”

‘Every time I was upset, I’d just hop on to a Mumbai local’
Mumbai is known for its local trains, which keep Mumbaikars connected across the length and breadth of the city. Nushrratt, too, has a special connect with Mumbai locals. “I like the sounds of trains. While growing up, whenever I was upset, I’d just go to the Santacruz railway station, hop on to a Churchgate-bound train, and take the same train back to Santacruz. In the two-hour ride, I’d think about things and calm myself down,” she shares.

‘I remember my bus rides to RC Church in Navy Nagar’
Another place that holds a special place in her heart is Navy Nagar, Colaba. “Whenever my friend and I felt that things were not going right in life, we would visit R C Church in Colaba. We’d take the BEST bus till there, then sit at the church peacefully without talking to each other.”