'Our Actions...': Agency Involved In Poonam Pandey's Gimmick Apologises

THE TIMES OF INDIA (February 4, 2024)

Mumbai: A day after her team and manager announced she had died of cervical cancer, model and actor Poonam Pandey said “I am here, alive. Cervical cancer didn’t claim me."

It turns out the news of her death was a stunt pulled off by her and her team. According to her, it was done to spread “critical awareness” about cervical cancer.

In a video posted on her official Instagram page, Pandey said, “I feel compelled to share something significant with you all I am here, alive. Cervical cancer didn’t claim me, but tragically, it has claimed the lives of thousands of women who stemmed from a lack of knowledge on how to tackle this disease... Together, let’s strive to put an end to the devastating impact of the disease and bring #DeathToCervicalCancer.”

In a follow-up video, Pandey apologized for the stunt but said she wanted to spread awareness about the disease.

“I am sorry I caused this tear and I am sorry to those I have hurt. My intention: to shock everyone into the conversation that we are not talking enough about cervical cancer,” Poonam said. 
------------------------------
BOMBAY TIMES (February 5, 2024)

Poonam Pandey has been facing backlash ever since she and her team shared the fake news of her demise on Friday to create awareness about cervical cancer. The All Indian Cine Workers Association (AICWA) has now demanded an FIR against her.

Suresh Shyamlal Gupta, AICWA President, said, “Poonam has played with the emotions of people in India. After learning about the news of her demise, so many people prayed for her and her family...She hurt the sentiments of people by involving in a cheap publicity stunt. It was not the right way to create awareness about cancer. I request police to register an FIR against her.”