‘I would get 65,000 letters a week for Binaca Geetmala’

Avijit Ghosh (THE TIMES OF INDIA; February 22, 2024)

His voice was his face. Everyone recognized it. From homemakers in Jodhpur to college students in Jhumri Telaiya, from paan sellers in Benaras to bank clerks in Akola — millions would tune in to Radio Ceylon every Wednesday at 8pm and be welcomed by the friendly and familiar greeting, “Behno aur bhaiyon”. Binaca Geetmala wasn’t just a blockbuster radio programme; it was a debating point, a social glue, an audio addiction.

Mumbai-based radio personality Ameen Sayani, 91, who hosted that iconic hit parade of film songs from Dec 1952 to April 1994, passed away following a heart attack on Tuesday.

From 1950s-70s, radio ruled indoor entertainment in India. With a voice that seemed to be shaking hands and a style that was intimate, Sayani not only personified “the golden years of radio” but also shaped and expanded it. At a time when songs sold films, his show was pivotal to the fortunes of the Hindi feature. It spawned hundreds of shrota sanghs (listeners’ clubs) in towns and kasbahs.

Overcoming the faint and wavering sound of short-wave radio, hundreds would press their ears to the ‘transistor’ to engage with a weekly register of songs. The programme’s emotional bonding with the listener is hard to explain, impossible to replicate.

Binaca (later Cibaca) Geetmala was born at a time when Hindi songs were banned on All India Radio by Union I&B minister B V Keskar, a classical music purist. Radio Ceylon grabbed the opportunity.

“Geetmala came on the scene as a low-priced experiment. I was given the job because none of the senior broadcasters cared much about it,” he told this reporter in a 2009 email interview.

The job entailed listing songs, writing the show’s script, presenting it and handling the feedback for Rs 25 per week. “Within a few months, AIR lost a major chunk of its popular listenership,” said Sayani, who was mentored by his elder brother Hamid, a reputed broadcaster.

The format of playing 16 hit tracks of the week for an hour (initially 30 minutes and seven numbers) was novel and exciting. But it was Sayani’s voice that became the 41-year-long show’s endearing USP. At its peak, the show received 65,000 letters every week.

Sayani’s easy, relaxed and flowing style led to first-rate interviews with major composers, lyricists and singers of the time. S Kumar’s Ka Filmi Muqaddama was another popular 70s show of his. Prolific with ad jingles, he also occasionally worked in the movies. The radio compere introduced Dev Anand’s Teen Devian (1965) with a background commentary and did a cameo for Mehmood’s Bhoot Bangla (1965).

Born into an enlightened and well-heeled Khoja family, Sayani graduated in history from St Xavier’s, Mumbai. Not many know he assisted his mother, Kulsum, in editing, publishing and printing a fortnightly journal for neo-literates on Mahatma Gandhi’s instructions. The fortnightly, Rahber (1940-60) was published in Devanagari, Urdu and Gujarati scripts.

Sayani also brought out a highly popular CD and cassette series, “Geetmala Ki Chhaon Mein”, which was peppered with film star interviews as well as digressions into the music of the past. He received Padma Shri in 2009.

On X, Prime Minister Narendra Modi mourned his passing with a tribute to the charm and warmth of Sayani’s golden voice. “Through his work, he played an important role in revolutionizing Indian broadcasting and nurtured a very special bond with his listeners,” he wrote.

Union information and broadcasting minister Anurag Thakur posted, “For most of us, he was the voice of the radio, who, with his magical wordplay, entertained and engaged us in a way no one had before.”
------------------------------
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; February 22, 2024)

Beloved radio host Ameen Sayani, 91, who hosted the show Binaca Geetmala, died on Tuesday in Mumbai after suffering a heart attack. His son Rajil Sayani confirmed the news to Indian Express.

Sayani, whose introduction: ‘Namaskar, behenon aur bhaiyon, main aapka dost Ameen Sayani bol raha hoon’, still evokes nostalgia, hosted Binaca Geetmala on Radio Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and later over Vividh Bharati (All India Radio) for 42 years. He produced and compiled over 54,000 radio programmes and 19,000 spots/jingles since 1951. He was a narrator for various movies, including Bhoot Bungla (1965) and Teen Devian (1965). He also acted in a few films, including Qatl (1986).

The late legend’s funeral will take place today in Mumbai.
-------------------------------------------------
Excerpts from Ameen Sayani’s 2016 interview with Soumya Vajpayee, when AIR turned 80

On working for Radio Ceylon and All India Radio
Radio Ceylon gave me fame and fortune but my birthplace [in] broadcasting was All India Radio (AIR). When I was eight, my brother Hamid took me to the English section of AIR Mumbai and got me in it. After Mahatma Gandhi passed away, I was broken since he was very close to our family. So I told myself that I was naye Bharat ka naya naujawan and would broadcast in Hindi. Since Radio Ceylon played Indian film songs, it got popular. I honed my Hindi and Urdu skills and got into Radio Ceylon. I spent some time there and my career took a turn with Binaca Geetmala.

On his favourite show
A show on Radio Ceylon used to have a competition in English. In 1952, we were told that there should be a similar programme in Hindi. We were told that the person who took it up would have to produce, script and present it and check the mail. I was given that programme since no one else was willing to work so hard for Rs. 25 a week. I took it up and put all my love for music into it. When the first programme of Geetmala was broadcast, I got 9,000 letters. The mail doubled every week. Within a year, it had gone up to 65,000 a week.
-------------------------------------------------
Harish Bhimani: He was so empathetic and encouraging
I was a chemical engineer with an MBA when I decided to become a voice artist. Ameen Sayani ji was worried about my sudden career shift... and advised me, “I know you are cut out for this. But don’t let it get to your head. I’m with you.” He was my mentor and gave me my first cheque. I am in the middle of writing a chapter of his biography.

Vishnu Sharma: I have become an orphan professionally
Meri aatma ka ek hissa chala gaya. When I came to Mumbai in 1981, aasaani se kaam nahin milta tha. I met Ameen ji and said, “Main aapke liye free mein kaam kar loonga.” So, he said, “Arey bhai, free mein kyun karoge? Maine tumko suna hai. Tum kal se aa jaana mere paas.” Uske baad, whenever I needed any guidance and support, he was always there.

RJ Rohini: His contribution to radio gave RJs a new identity
Once in an interview that Ameen sahab was giving, he said, “I’m not special or extraordinary. I’m not knowledgeable beyond any layperson. My attempt is to speak from my heart to reach the hearts of my listeners.” His contribution to radio has given presenters an identity beyond being mere announcers.

Aparshakti Khurana: He will always be radio’s golden voice
I’m truly saddened to hear about sir Ameen Sayani’s passing. Sayani sahab will continue to be the golden voice of Indian radio, and I was lucky to have grown up listening to him, thanks to my parents who were avid fans of his show, Binaca Geetmala. What Sachin Tendulkar is to cricket and Amitabh Bachchan is to cinema, Ameen Sayani was to radio.