Ranbir will be the  right choice for my  biopic, says Yuvraj
Sundas Jawed (BOMBAY TIMES; January 17, 2024)

A left-handed all-rounder with a record of being the only Indian cricketer who smashed six sixes in a single over in 2007’s T20 World Cup, former Indian cricketer Yuvraj Singh is a fighter both on and off the field. Lovingly known as Yuvi, the cricketer was in Kolkata on Saturday afternoon where he expressed his wish of Ranbir Kapoor doing his biopic, striking a balance between work and fatherhood and more. Excerpts.

‘No regrets about captaincy’
Talking about having no regrets, except one, the left-handed all-rounder said, "Now there are three teams, more than one captains but back then, it wasn’t like this. Dada (Sourav Ganguly) was a great captain, so was Mahi (Mahendra Singh Dhoni). I’ve no regrets as becoming captain is about destiny. I gave my all as a team member and that is all that matters to me. The only regret I’ve is that I could have played more test matches."

Biopic plans
When asked about which actor would be the right choice for his biopic, the cricketer said, "I recently watched Animal and I think Ranbir Kapoor would be the right fit for my biopic. But eventually, it’ll be the director’s call. We’re definitely working on it and will have some good news soon."

'Time to give back to the country for its undying support’
Yuvraj says that back in the day, the infrastructure for cricket training was not up to the mark. Emphasizing on the importance of creating an atmosphere where young cricketers can pursue cricket professionally, he said, “Young kids aged between 10-19 should receive the best of training which can help them build a career for themselves. The country has given us so much love and support whenever we were playing abroad, now it’s time to give back to the country by creating an atmosphere conducive to the growth of young kids for them to learn, grow and play professional cricket.”

‘I want to give my kids the best education and life’
Yuvraj likes being a hands-on father, he says, “My kids are in England so I’ve to go back and forth to see them. My whole world revolves around my kids. Our lives change once we become parents. You want to give them the best of everything and I am trying my best to give them the best education and life,” said the left-handed all-rounder.

Yuvi’s message to students
When asked about his message for young students of the nation, the cricketer said, “Education and sports both are really important. My message to students is that they should focus on both the things, and once you know what you are good at, pursue your career in that.”

The cricket legend was in the city to inaugurate the Yuvraj Singh Centre of Excellence and High Performance Centre in collaboration with the Merlin Group.