My comic image became a stumbling block in my career
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; January 24, 2024)

Jamie Lever has made us laugh aplenty through her viral Instagram reels mimicking people, and her film Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon (2015). But she also feels that her comedy and expectation to make people laugh, “has become a stumbling block” in her career.

“I go for auditions and screen tests. Some casting directors take a chance, saying let’s test Jamie for something different. But most see me and think ‘ab koi punch line aayegi’. I have to break away from that,” she shares, adding, “In my last film Yaatris (2023), a family drama, my character wasn’t supposed to be funny. I read a review which said ‘Jamie couldn’t make us laugh’ But the point of my character was to not make you laugh.”

This year seems set to change the perception as the actor-comedian gears up to feature in two films - Vidyut Jammwal’s Crackk and a Telugu film, Aa Okatti Adakku. For the daughter of comedy star Johnny Lever, the latter film is special.

“I am a South Indian and my mother tongue is Telugu. Ever since I started working, I wanted to do one film in Telugu for my grandma as she only speaks Telugu. So, while she has seen me in projects on screen, she has no idea, ki yeh ladki bolti kya hai! I want her to watch my film and enjoy,” she quips, adding, “Next month, I have my one woman show in Mumbai. I am really excited for that too,” she ends.