Akriti back on stage less than a month after delivery
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; December 7, 2023)

Singer Akriti Kakar has surprised everyone by returning to the stage just 28 days after delivering her son Mehraan on November 1. “Since my gynaecologist and my family know what music means to me, everyone was supportive of my decision to get back on stage if my body allowed. It’s a blessing to have a solid support system at home,” says Kakar, who prioritized comfort by going barefoot for her performance in Udaipur on November 29.

But, the new mum makes sure to plan everything in advance before leaving for work. “I take care of my diet and body as I want to breastfeed for as long as he’d like, so I plan his feeds. And amid all the cuddles, burps, loving and feeding, music helps me deal with postpartum in the best way possible,” explains the Iski Uski (2 States, 2014) hitmaker.

However, in the age of social media, wading through judgements and unsolicited advice can be stressful for new mums. But Kakar chooses to focus on the positives and says, “The judgement and advice is never-ending. But, I know my son will be proud of his mum for doing her best while not compromising on his upbringing.”

Admitting that “mom guilt” is as real as it gets, the singer adds that you can’t get rid of it “even if your child is 30”. “However, I’m inspired by many working women around me, including my mum, who resumed teaching after I and my sisters were born,” wraps up the 37-year-old, who is planning more gigs.