'Dhoom' Director Sanjay Gadhvi Dies At 56, Family Suspects Heart Attack

THE TIMES OF INDIA (November 20, 2023)

Mumbai: Director Sanjay Gadhvi, whose action films ‘Dhoom’ and ‘Dhoom 2’ took GenNext by storm, died after reportedly suffering a heart attack during his morning walk on Sunday. He took ill at his apartment building Green Acres in Lokhandwala Complex, Andheri, and was taken to Kokilaben Ambani Hospital where doctors pronounced him dead.

Gadhvi was 56 years of age and about to celebrate his 57th birthday three days later on November 22. He is survived by wife Gina and two daughters. His older daughter Sanjina told PTI, “He passed away at 9.30 am this morning at his residence. We are not sure what it is, but it is most likely a heart attack. He wasn't unwell. He was perfectly healthy.” The final rites will be performed at Oshiwara crematorium at 10.30am on Monday.

Gadhvi made his first film ‘Tere Liye’ in 2000 which met a lukewarm response. However, his fortunes turned with the action thriller ‘Dhoom’ (2004) and later ‘Dhoom 2’ which starred Abhishek Bachchan and John Abraham in the first movie and Hrithik Roshan in the second.

The director also won acclaim for ‘Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai’ and ‘Kidnap’. In 2012, he directed ‘Ajab Gazabb Love’ and made ‘Operation Parindey’ in 2020.

His actors and crew members expressed shock at his death. Hrithik Roshan said, “Deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Sanjay Gadhvi. Forever grateful for the moments we shared. He was instrumental in bringing out the Aryan in me. Couldn't have done it without him. Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed.”

John Abraham wrote, “(I) remember the times I spent with you on the film closest to my heart, Dhoom. May the angels always ride with you. Rest in peace.”

Abhishek Bachchan posted two photographs and said he had spoken to Gadhvi just last week. He said, “I took this photo of Sanjay whilst we were filming the climax of Dhoom 2 in South Africa. We made two films together Dhoom and Dhoom 2. Sanju, when I spoke to you last week and we were reminiscing about our shoots and memories I would never have imagined even in my craziest dreams that I would have to write a post like this.”

He added, “I'm shocked beyond belief. You had faith in me, even when I didn't. You gave me my first ever hit! I can never ever forget that or be able express what it meant to me. I will cherish your friendship always. Rest in peace my brother.”

Actor-director Viveck Vaswani said, “RIP. He started his career with me, assisted me, even when there was no film. The struggle to get ‘Patthar Ke Phool’ made was a battle in which he was an active participant. We saw movies daily, we talked about Manmohan Desai, Yash Chopra, Hrishikesh Mukherjee.”