‘I’M GREEDY BUT ALSO SATISFIED WITH THE WORK I’VE DONE’

Actor Sargun Mehta, who turned 35 yesterday, talks about the ‘pat on the back from the world’ that she craves in terms of work and how success as a producer offers validation
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; September 7, 2023)

Sargun Mehta is donning multiple hats — as an actor in Punjabi films, a producer and writer for TV shows and a lot more. However, the Qismat 2 actor tells us that it’s not enough. “Professionally, the greed never ends,” says Mehta, who made her debut as a producer in 2022 with Saunkan Saunkne.

The actor has her sights set on delivering at least one project that has worldwide reach and relevance. “Lines in the entertainment industry are blurring now. People sitting anywhere in the world can watch your content, all thanks to OTT,” she says, adding, “So, I am looking for that pat on the back from the world by creating a project that caters to the worldwide audience. That’s one thing I crave.”

All said and done, Mehta is content with the work she has put out in the past year, particularly Saunkan Saunkne. “There were doubts about whether I would be able to do it. But, when it did well, it opened a lot of doors for me,” she elaborates.

“I’m a very greedy person, but I also feel very satisfied when I look back. There have been a lot of things that I thought wouldn’t be possible. But I managed it,” adds Mehta.

The actor turned 35 yesterday. How did she celebrate her big day? The Cuttputlli (2022) actor answers, “I’m usually very excited about birthdays, but this year I was not! I think the pressure of work just took over. I was like, ‘Okay, just do whatever’, and Ravi (Dubey, actor and her husband) was puzzled to see me like that. I am that person who would literally count down days to my birthday.”