‘EVEN BREATHING
GETS PAINFUL
AT TIMES’
After battling breast cancer, Chhavi Mittal opens up about fighting costochondritis and how her kids have been her support system through the ordeal
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 7, 2023)

It’s been more than a year since she was diagnosed with breast cancer. While actor Chhavi Mittal is cancer-free now, she has another health-related battle to fight. Mittal recently took to Instagram to share that she has been diagnosed with costochondritis.

The 42-year-old says, “I think what I’m experiencing is a side effect of all the cancer treatments. It started with a foot fracture. I went to get it checked, and after the scan I found out that I have low bone mineral density hinting towards osteopenia, a condition where bones start losing calcium in the blood. The treatment was an injection and I took it.”

What happened next was even worse, she continues, “I started experiencing severe chest pain, which felt more like spasm in the chest. It went all the way back to the upper shoulder. I started taking pain-relief medicines for it. Once the spasm passed, I realized there was an injury in the chest cartilage, which basically means that breathing and everything causes pain. My left arm’s movement is restricted, even filling a bottle of water is painful for me. The pain can only be managed through medications and it’s been seven days since I have been on it.”

Her children, Areeza (10) and Arham (3), too, are trying to chip in with however they can to help their mum navigate through her daily life. “My daughter helps me a lot by running small errands. My son, too, does that, but it gets a little difficult for me to explain to him that I cannot pick him up and that he needs to be careful around my left side. But I am not dependent on anybody. I wasn’t even after my cancer surgery or treatment. I always try to do as much as I can on my own. However, I cannot lift weights and I need to be driven around,” she shares.