rakhi sawant husband adil khan durrani came out of jail

Businessman Adil Khan Durrani, who was in a Mysuru jail for five months, hits out at Rakhi Sawant
Neha Maheshwri (BOMBAY TIMES; August 22, 2023)

After being imprisoned for five months in a Mysuru jail, Adil Khan Durrani who is better known as Rakhi Sawant’s estranged husband, is back in Mumbai. The Mysuru-based businessman was first detained by the Mumbai police on February 7, following a complaint filed by Rakhi accusing him of fraud and cheating. He was arrested on the same day after she filed another complaint for unnatural sex.

Subsequently, on February 21, the Mysuru police arrested him based on a rape complaint made by an Iranian national. Refuting the allegations levelled against him, Adil says, “All these accusations are baseless. Rakhi had threatened to ruin my life and she did that.”

‘Rakhi was cheating on me with Ritesh Singh’
Talking about how they met, Adil says, “I was introduced to Rakhi by a mutual friend in Mumbai in 2021. We exchanged phone numbers and started talking. I didn’t know much about Rakhi’s past at that time apart from the fact that she was earlier married to Ritesh Singh, which ended in divorce. She said the marriage didn’t hold, as Ritesh hadn’t divorced his wife. After a few months of courtship, Rakhi and I tied the knot according to Islamic rituals on May 29, 2022, followed by official registration on July 2, 2022.”

He further adds, “After Rakhi returned from a London event in October last year, I discovered she was in touch with Ritesh and cheating on me. When I confronted her about her equation with Ritesh, she accused me of infidelity in the media. Tired of the mess in my life, I asked for a divorce. She agreed to give me a divorce under the condition that I provided her with all the evidence I had about her and Ritesh. However, she intended to frame me. On February 7, she called me to her residence to collect my belongings and pleaded with me for another chance after I reached there. Unexpectedly, the doorbell rang, and to my shock, I found the police outside. She told them that I assaulted her resulting in my detention. Later, she accused me of unnatural sex. I was arrested and sent to Arthur Road jail. The reports of unnatural sex came negative, and I was granted bail on February 22. However, on February 10, I learnt about an Iranian woman filing a complaint against me for rape following which I was jailed in Mysuru on February 21.”

‘Rakhi influenced her to file a complaint against me’
The Iranian woman has claimed that Adil and she shared an apartment. He, however, denies it, saying, “She is someone I helped financially. I must have spent over Rs 31 lakh on her studies and even sent money to her mother in Iran for her cancer treatment. She was a close friend and I made Rakhi meet her twice. Everything aside, how can I rape someone who claims to be in a relationship with me for over five years? Rakhi influenced her to file a rape case against me. I have come to know that she gave her Rs 3 lakh and promised to divide the Rs 25 lakh she gets from me for withdrawing all charges and making her a star in Bollywood.”

‘I didn’t threaten Rakhi from jail; she reached out to me’
Rakhi has claimed that Adil threatened to kill her while he was inside a Mysuru jail. On his part, Adil says, “Rakhi sent a person to jail who told me that she and the Iranian girl wanted to settle things with me. I called her from the superintendent’s phone and the other girl was also on the call. We spoke for 16 minutes. I immediately called my lawyer and told him about this. On the day of the bail hearing, I was shocked to learn that Rakhi used that call and said I was threatening her. I was denied bail and was in jail for five months. It was a nightmare. I cried every night and asked God the reason for my suffering. The answer is Rakhi Sawant; she is the biggest mistake of my life.”

‘I am the victim here and will go to any lengths for justice’
Adil was released from Mysuru jail on July 21 and says he was gathering evidence to file a case against Rakhi. He adds, “The rape report was negative and now I have decided to fight Rakhi for wrongly accusing me. One of them will be a defamation suit. My legal team will soon start working on divorce formalities. Her claims of me hitting her and threatening to throw acid on her if she didn’t do namaz are unfounded. I have never shouted or raised my hand at her. In fact, Rakhi hit me on several occasions, and I have evidence against her. She claims to have invested Rs 1.5 crore in my automobile business out of which Rs 41 lakh has been repaid. I also invested in her dance academy, and production house, bought her a flat in Dubai, cleared her loan of Rs 24.50 lakh for a flat in Goregaon, and bought her expensive gifts. After settling everything, she is liable to pay me Rs 91 lakh.”

Despite repeated attempts, we couldn’t reach Rakhi for comment.