Kimberly Colaco (BOMBAY TIMES; August 22, 2023)

Recently, Govinda was on a work trip to Goa, where we caught up with the actor who was in a casual, chilled out mood – in perfect sync with the Goan vibe. He spoke to us about his love for Goa, his popular style of dancing and his supposed strained relationship with nephew Krushna Abhishek.

‘IF YOU CROSS THE LINE, I WILL KEEP MY DISTANCE AND IT IS NOT DUE TO ENMITY’
Ask him about his strained relationship with nephew Krushna Abhishek, and he replies, “Sometimes, one tends to cross the line and there I’m a little strict with the whole family. If you cross the line, then I will keep my distance and it is not due to enmity. It is just for my peace of mind and to keep a safe environment around me. So, it is not that I have anything against Krushna.”

‘EARLIER, I WOULD VISIT GOA VERY OFTEN’
As he takes a seat on a cane beach chair, he reminisces, “Earlier, I would visit Goa very often, even the language is familiar to me as I am fluent in Marathi. On one of my visits here, a taxi driver kept singing Galyan Sakli Sonyachi, he thought I didn’t understand what he was singing,” he says, as he bursts out laughing and continues, “The most important reason I love Goa is because my love story with my wife, Sunita, started here. We came down to Goa as a couple for the first time and had a great time. On the work front, the last movie I shot here was Haseena Maan Jayegi,” he says.

‘IT WAS HARD FOR ME TO COME THIS FAR’
Talking about his career and journey which has been an inspiration to many, Govinda elaborates, “It was hard for me to come this far, and my mom always told me, ‘No one will teach you, so you have to learn it all by yourself’. And it turned out to be the best advice, as I knew that I had to be my best for my filmmaker, the audience and the system. I learnt whatever I did on my own in the industry, and slowly, I began understanding the whole game of cinema. I did my best in every role I got.”

‘MY STYLE OF DANCING IS EASY-GOING’
Apart from his unforgettable movies, Govinda’s quintessential style of dancing is admired and imitated even today. Bring that up and it lights up his face, and he says, “The audience loves all my songs and my dance moves in them. Even a song like Main Toh Raste Se Ja Raha Tha is still remembered by people. They like the Govinda style of dancing, but it is not dance, it’s more of a natural reaction. When the songs played, the actions that you see just came to my mind and it felt right. My style of dancing is easy-going, it is not even a performance, it’s like badmashi dikhani wali baat.”