Pankaj Kapur isn’t choosy now, ‘open to more work’
Rishabh Suri (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 9, 2023)

Pankaj Kapur has been a part of the film industry for four decades and earned several accolades despite being “choosy” with his projects. However, the actor says he has “become a little less choosy now”.

He adds, “If roles are offered to me in a professional manner, why would I not do it? I love my work; it’s my passion. One has to inform producers and directors that I am available to work; maybe they are under the assumption that I do little work. Yes, I do, but I’m open to the idea of doing a lot [of projects]. In the last two years, I have been more active in cinema and web shows.” Kapur recently performed a dramatic reading of a novella he had written, himself, at the Delhi Theatre Festival.

Ask what his requirements are while signing a film and the 69-year-old shares, “A bound script, dates, money and inputs for creative outlook towards projects [is a requirement]. I read 10 scripts in a year and [usually] feel maybe two or three are workable. The rest are not my cup of tea because I have done roles like them before. If dates or money don’t work out, or there is too much stubbornness on the part of writers or the director doesn’t want to budge at all, then one can’t do it.”

Up until now, the Lost actor has had more positive experiences than negative with makers. “Most directors I worked with have welcomed my inputs, and we have been able to do some enriching work together,” he signs off.