35 years of Khoon Bhari Maang
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 12, 2023)

It was a phone call from director Rakesh Roshan that propelled actor Kabir Bedi to take a break from his Hollywood stint and come to India to be a part of Khoon Bhari Maang (1988). Now, the actor is happy about his decision. “When Rakesh Roshan called me to be the hero of his film, I asked, ‘Are the actors in Bollywood on strike that you are calling me?’ But he explained that no other hero was ready to play the character as it turns villainous,” recounts the 77-year-old, adding, “I agreed after learning Rekha was the leading lady.” 

The film narrated the story of a woman seeking revenge from her husband, who tries to kill her by throwing her to the crocodiles in a lake. Bedi credits Roshan for bringing out the best in him and Rekha, and giving him an iconic character. “Till date, people talk about the scene where I threw Rekha to the crocodiles. A lot of young girls were scared of me after watching the film. I was thought of as the most dangerous man on the planet back then,” he laughs. 

Recently, Bedi shared a picture with Rekha from an awards show, stirring talks of remake among fans. But the actor is against the idea. “There will be no thrill because you already know what the story is and it has been done well by actors,” he ends.