‘Anees bhai told me about the spin to my character days before leaving for Australia’
Syeda Eba Fatima (HINDUSTAN TIMES; August 8, 2023)

The character of Mika in Singh Is Kinng, brought to life by Jaaved Jaaferi, remains one of the most hilarious. The actor says there were several improvisations made during the filming process, but the script written by director Anees Bazmee provided a solid framework for his performance.

“He told me, ‘Usse dikhta nahin hai aur sunta nahin hai’. On set, he’d keep tweaking things,” says Jaaferi, revealing that giving the character a negative spin was also a last-minute decision before the crew headed to Australia.

“Anees bhai told me he wanted to add a spin to my character through a short song — I Am Mika. He said, ‘Tum baith jao Pritam (music composer) ke saath aur bana lo gaana’. It was to bring out my character’s negative side and surprise the audience,” recalls the actor, who even sang the track.

Besides Mika, Jaaferi also played Ranvir Shorey’s dad. “The team tried to get a local actor in Australia, but koi theek nahin mila. So, Anees bhai said, ‘Tum karlo’. It was so random... No one would’ve imagined that I’d play Ranvir’s father by changing my get-up and voice. But, a little improvisation made the scene so funny. Jo comedy mein craziness hoti hai, woh inhi cheezon se aati hai,” the 59-year-old says.