Female stars struggle with ageism even now: Huma Qureshi
Sugandha Rawal (HINDUSTAN TIMES; July 28, 2023)

On her 37th birthday today, actor Huma Qureshi advocates a transformation in the film industry’s perception of age, especially concerning women artistes. Rejecting the practice of ageism, she urges people in showbiz to see women beyond a mere “shelf life”, viewing age as nothing more than a number.

“I feel like actresses more so than men have this ageism thing thrown at them. People should realize that women are not commodities or something that has a considerable shelf life. It is an extremely sexist way of looking at women because, as artistes, with each passing year, we become better and grow, transforming into a better version of ourselves. And that’s how it should be seen.”

On her birthday, Qureshi, who was last seen in Tarla, chooses to be laid-back and introspective, focusing on personal growth. “As I grow older and hopefully wiser, the most significant lesson that I have learned is just to be patient and to trust that sometimes life has something better in store for you than what you have in mind. So, just relax, chill and try to do better each day than what you think you can.”

The actor adds that she maintains a “good work-life balance” and treats her “profession like a nine-to-five job”. She says, “I know a lot of people who like to work on their birthdays, but because I’m constantly shooting and working, I like to just take that time off for myself just to chill, do things I like and surround myself with people that I love.”