DEVI SMILES LIKE ME: KARAN
On Father’s Day, Karan Singh Grover, in his first interview since embracing fatherhood, talks about his journey as a dad and bond with daughter Devi
Soumya Vajpayee (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 18, 2023)

Actors Karan Singh Grover and Bipasha Basu welcomed their daughter, Devi Basu Singh Grover, in November last year. On Father’s Day today, Karan, in his first interview since becoming a dad, recalls the first time he saw Devi.

“Before I saw her, I thought I’d burn my eyes out, crying. But when I held Devi for the first time, I felt something change in me. When we were pregnant, I’d speak to Bipasha’s belly every day and say, ‘Hi chota babu, Papa is here’. I said that again when I held Devi and she opened her eyes. I did the first skin-to-skin with her, too.”

Though he’s proud to call himself “a hands-on dad”, Karan goes on to salute the power of a mother: “I don’t think any father can be as hands-on as a mum, because they definitely have more than two hands (laughs). Their potential is unfathomable. But yes, I try to do everything that I am capable of and become a better dad every day by understanding my baby’s needs, likes and dislikes.”

For celeb parents, striking a balance between work and their baby could be arduous. Talking about it, Karan shares, “Being a dad takes a lot of my time and I enjoy that. Sometimes, if I have to take things slow on the work front, I don’t mind that because I don’t want to miss out on any of Devi’s firsts — her first crawl, her first wink, her first splash of water... But, I feel blessed to belong to a profession that allows me to do things at my own pace. I can work one day and take the next day off to be with my baby and Bipasha. A lot of people don’t have that luxury.”

Similarities between me and my daughter
She has my chin and she smiles like me. Also, she and I sleep in the same position. Bipasha calls it the fallen man position (laughs).

Favourite pastime with Devi
We have a playlist called Devi’s bath playlist. We play it when her bath is about to start. We also have music time during the day and I sing to her. She enjoys old songs from The Jungle Book, including The Bare Necessities and I Wan’na Be Like You. I dance for her while mumma applies moisturizer.

DEVI SMILES LIKE ME: KARAN