Of Blues And Greens: Sonakshi Sinha's Maldives Palette

Onkar Kulkarni (BOMBAY TIMES; June 8, 2023)

Sonakshi Sinha loves exploring pristine beaches around the world and says she finds solace in her deep-diving adventures. On World Oceans Day, she talks about the importance of educating people about the need to have clean and healthy oceans. She says, “Even if I am jet skiing and I see a bottle floating in the water, I stop to pick it up and then discard it at the right place.”

SONAKSHI’S SCUBA DIVING DIARIES
Sonakshi, who is a certified scuba diver, travels to the Maldives every year for underwater adventures. She also loves taking off to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and visiting the beaches of Goa, Ratnagiri and Visakhapatnam. She says, “Whenever I am underwater and I see plastic, I pick it up, hook it onto my (scuba diving) suit and trash it once I am back on land.”

‘AT NIGHT, YOU CAN EXPERIENCE A DIFFERENT SIDE OF THE OCEAN’
Sonakshi says that the ocean has a different vibe at night. Sharing her night snorkelling experience, the actress recalls, “I was stunned when I did night snorkelling. I saw eels coming out of their caves. They looked pretty yet scary, but they don’t come close to you. At night, you can experience a very different side of the ocean. It’s vast and dark down there. I haven’t tried scuba diving at night. You need courage as you just have one torch on your head and you can only see through that one beam of light and everything else is all black, like walking in outer space.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Being underwater drains out all the noise and transports me to a completely different world. I find a lot of peace underwater. It is a very beautiful and calming experience. It's a beautiful world out there"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"It is important for our environment to have healthy oceans, because if there's no blue, there's no green! Our underwater plants and corals are getting bleached out because of global warming. People leave beaches dirty and there's so much plastic underwater. Single-use plastic should be banned"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"We have started beach clean-up drives now, which makes the beaches more accessible. When we see clear beaches abroad, it just shows us how we need to seriously make more effort to save our oceans"