Jackie Shroff: Not everyone is like me, roaming with a plant, like a mad guy

Jackie on how he tries to raise awareness about nature conservation by carrying a plant for all his public appearances
Priyanka Sharma (MID-DAY; June 5, 2023)

A sapling has almost become Jackie Shroff’s accessory. Over the past few years, the actor is always spotted with a plant in his hand at events. It’s his way of reminding everyone around to do their bit for environmental conservation. “Not everyone is like me, roaming with a plant, like a mad guy,” he laughs.

Shroff’s amusing habit is deeply rooted in his love for nature that began in childhood. “It started subconsciously from kindergarten. At that age, you are asked by your teachers to plant saplings. When I grew up and went on set, I’d see people roaming with umbrellas to protect themselves from the harsh sunlight. I saw that there were fewer trees around.”

That sparked off his quirky way to put the focus on giving back to the planet. It saddens the actor that people at large dismiss the urgent need to act against deforestation. “There are some who work towards the cause. But I have seen the attitude [of many] who try to put the onus on others [rather than taking responsibility]. Everyone should work towards environmental conservation on their own. I hope today’s youth will speak up and work for the next generation.”
---------------------------------
Actor Jackie Shroff on using his voice to make a difference in the world
Navya Kharbanda (HINDUSTAN TIMES; June 5, 2023)

Wherever actor Jackie Shroff goes — birthdays, weddings, parties or a reality show — he is seen with his trusty sidekick, a plant. On World Environment Day, Shroff, who owns an organic farm and was a goodwill ambassador for an eco-festival, talks about how he is doing his bit for Nature.

PLANTS ARE PETS
Shroff says, “My plants are my family, my pets that have to be nurtured. I want us to make the world a lovely garden.” The actor started an online campaign in 2020 called ‘Ped Lagao Bhidu’ to encourage people to plant more trees.

As a public figure, he considers himself “lucky” that he can use his voice to make a difference: “Before becoming an actor, I worked at a travel agency, where no one listened to me. If a few people listen to what I say about saving the environment, my purpose is served.”

#BEATPLASTICPOLLUTION
“People must stop using plastic and ask shopkeepers to stop, too. Mere dimaag mein mera jungle mera jahaan hai. I do not like plastic whether it is single-use or multiple-use,” the 66-year-old says.

Adding, the Phone Bhoot (2022) actor says, “Globally, tap water is contaminated with nanoplastics (omnipresent pollutants that are fragments of larger plastic debris). The data will shock you. I even see cattle eating plastic on the side of the road instead of grass. Grasslands are as important as trees in the forest. We need to plant more trees.”